Brown University Library seeks collaborative and innovative candidates for the position of Librarian for Literary and Popular Culture Collections. As part of the Special Collections unit in the John Hay Library, the Librarian is responsible for a broad range of special collections including the Harris Collection of American Poetry and Plays, the H. Adrian Smith Magic Collection, the Miller Collection of Wit and Humor, the Sheet Music Collection, the Katzoff Collection of Gay and Lesbian Literature, the Comics Collection, and other library holdings in the areas of American and British literature and popular culture.
The Librarian for Literary and Popular Culture Collections actively engages with students, faculty, and researchers by providing in-depth, subject-based reference and research services, as well as teaching support. S/he assists with the design, development, and implementation of discovery tools, digital projects, and online resource guides. The position is responsible for collection development, through purchase and gift, in designated subject areas and in all formats, with emphasis on special collections material, in accordance with collection guidelines, curriculum alignment, and budgetary resources. The Librarian actively promotes the use of the collections through exhibitions, presentations, and a variety of programmatic initiatives incorporating emerging technologies and social media. Working across departments, the Librarian supports the user-focused environment of the Library through assessment, evaluation, design and implementation of user-driven services. The Librarian participates in appropriate organizations at the regional and national levels.
- Masters in Library Science from an ALA accredited institution and/or graduate degree in a relevant subject area
- Extensive knowledge of one or more of the subject areas for which the position is responsibleÍ¾ experience with research tools relevant to the assigned subject areas
- Minimum of three years of experience in a similar position with a focus on research and teaching support, collection development, public service, programming, and outreach
- Experience in collection development in special collectionsÍ¾ knowledge of the market for rare books and manuscripts
- Demonstrated understanding of and receptiveness to the uses of emerging technologies and social media
- Experience with library instruction, teaching, and making presentations
- Experience working with researchers in a rapidly changing environment
- Ability to work in a complex library organization with a strong service orientation
- Excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills with experience working collaboratively with othersÍ¾
- Ability to advocate for and promote the collections to a diverse constituency
- Evidence of scholarly engagement and active participation within the profession
- Knowledge of one or more languages other than English, preferably French and/or Spanish.
All offers of employment are contingent upon a criminal background check and education verification satisfactory to Brown.
Recruiting Start Date:2016-04-20-07:00
Job Posting Title:Librarian for Literary and Popular Culture
Time Type:Full time
Scheduled Weekly Hours:37.5
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Still Have Questions?
If you have any questions you may contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Brown University is an E-Verify Employer.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sexual orientation and/or gender identity, sex, sex orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.