Under supervision, the Lab Services Assistant provides glassware washing, maintenance of common facilities, cleaning and maintenance of equipment and disposal of biohazard wastes as required. The responsibilities of this position include: washing glassware, chemical reagents, autoclaving and practicing sterile techniques, maintaining laboratory equipment; and other duties as assigned. The preferred qualifications include: high school diploma; or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience from which comparable skills can be acquired; ability to follow directions and work independently; excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills are essential. Requires lifting 15-20 pound items, and working in various temperature conditions.
- Collects, washes, dries, sterilizes and returns glassware to/from various laboratories.
- Cleaning out the break rooms: cleaning out the refrigerator, keeping the counter areas clean, keep track of coffee and other supplies, cleaning the floors, and etc.
- Responsible for unloading and supplying required bins for Biohazard Waste Disposal program.
- Responsible for maintenance of cold rooms and common equipment rooms.
- Responsible for cleaning and maintenance of common equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- High School education or equivalent.
- Good physical health may require heavy lifting and some work in hot and cold environments.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.