The Administrative Assistant 3 coordinates administrative processes and prioritizes, directs, and responds to business matters involving administrative functions associated with education, research, and/or operations. This position creates and maintains associated documents, spreadsheets, databases, meetings, special events, etc. and alerts supervisor of critical issues and upcoming events.
The Administrative Assistant 3 provides a broad variety of administrative support to the Northwestern University Center for Audiology, Speech, Language and Learning (NUCASLL), an outpatient clinical setting providing care for over 6000 speech-language pathology, audiology and learning patients per year. This position supports the Clinical Faculty, Directors, Managers, Clients, Students, Physicians, and Staff. The successful candidate will demonstrate superb judgment, problem solving, and customer service skills to resolve routine and complex issues and handle information of a highly confidential and critical nature.
Documents & Databases:
- Uses EMR to schedule appointments for clients.
- Inputs all clinical schedules into EMR.
- Prepares & compiles correspondence, reports, etc.
- Creates &/or maintains spreadsheets &/or databases &/or reports, queries, charts, forms etc. based on supervisor's information/ objectives.
- Monitors patient/client charts pulled for clinic doctors for their timeliness, completeness and accuracy, and makes corrections and aids in their preparation as needed.
- Monitors and if needed updates graduate clinician schedules/ clinical hours, financial transaction, and marketing spreadsheets and databases.
- Prepares other reports and queries as assigned.
- Gathers information regarding programs, events, etc;
- Directs clients to specific portions of the website as needed.
- Creation of daily cash reports.
- Assist in account reconciliation.
- Reconciles bluebook charges with weekly invoices and brings discrepancies to the attention of management and reports bluebook statistics to Fuel Medical and management.
- Verifies accuracy of insurance billing procedures, monitors insurance reimbursement policies and updates clinic billing procedures as needed.
- Verifies that charges are accurate & posted to the appropriate client account.
- Reconciles account balances.
- Assists in preparation of annual budget.
- Manages complex clinic schedule (clinical faculty; clients; patients; clinic rooms; graduate student clinicians); financial policies and procedures and reports.
- Sets-up & cancels meetings based on knowledge of subject & attendees.
- Organizes and coordinates events.
- Oversees completion of all logistics such as advertising, registration, speakers, venues, catering, technology, etc.
- Serves as liaison for faculty and staff to facilities management.
- Oversees and greets patients, clients, and visitors in person and on the phone with a welcoming, helping and can-do attitude, answers questions, schedules appointments, collects contact information and notifies doctor that the patient or client has arrived.
- Is well informed about clinics' services, products, pricing, and specialty services of clinic professional personnel and able to relate this information to patients and clients.
- Understands value propositions of both clinics and assures that administrative staff frequently and properly convey clinics' value propositions to all.
- Represents the clinic with various levels of personnel both internally & externally managing & facilitating confidential &/or critical information.
- Answers, screens and prioritizes incoming calls.
- Manages insurance registration, eligibility, claims, and posting of Electronic Fund Transfers to patient accounts.
- Responds to inquiries as well as unanticipated & complex issues.
- Researches information to resolve problems or issues.
- Provides basic interpretation of policies and procedures.
- Triages prospective SLL clients to the appropriate SLL clinical faculty member.
- Provides a responsive, courteous, customer service-focused, professional environment in which clients, patients, students, and faculty feel welcome to come with questions and requests.
- Orders office supplies.
- Responds to graduate student clinician questions, issues, and requests;
- Refers students to appropriate resources.
- Monitors, coordinates, corrects, and improves work of work study students hired on to assist in the clinic.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- A high school diploma or equivalent required.
- 4 years of administrative support or other relevant experience required.
- Intermediate knowledge of word processing, spreadsheet, email, and database software programs is required.
- Intermediate knowledge of financial systems and insurance billing and reimbursement policies and procedures.
- Efficiently and effectively performs duties and responsibilities; displays attention to detail; strong customer-service skills.
- Excellent customer service skills.
- Ability to lead and to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; well-organized; excellent attention to detail; ability to multi-task.
- Anticipates demands/ pressures of assignments and adjusts accordingly.
- Self-directed, flexible, and adaptable.
- Displays consistency and success in adhering to deadlines.
- Exhibits energy and desire to achieve; sets ambitious goals and acts decisively; takes action that no one has requested to improve or enhance job results and avoid problems.
- Facilitates open and effective communication, cooperation, and teamwork within and outside of the clinic; respects the needs and contributions of others.
- Regularly monitors internal and external customer satisfaction; provides suggestions to improve quality and value to the customer.
- High degree of judgment, tact, and diplomacy.
- Positive attitude.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education, training, and experience form which comparable skills can be acquired.
- Five or more years related experience.
- Experience in a medical setting, clinic, or higher education.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.