This is a position (Molecular Biology/Biochemistry) in Dr. Shilatifard's lab in the Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics department.
The Research Technologist 2 conducts experimental research lab work and/or assists in design of one or more specific phase(s) of entire project(s). This position may complete mathematical calculations, and/or computer tasks and/or assist in judging validity of data. This role follows appropriate protocols, policies, procedures, regulations, Good Clinical and Good Laboratory Practices.
- Following protocols, designs, sets-up and conducts basic experiments.
- Analyzes and troubleshoots protocols and data obtained from individual experiments and recommends alternatives and suggestions to improve processes, validity and/or accuracy.
- Using a fully functioning level of skill, completes the following activities:
- Molecular Biology:
- DNA, RNA, Protein isolation, purification and expression Southern, Northern, Western blotting
- PCR, RT-PCR
- Plasmid preparation
- Cloning, mapping and sequencing of DNA
- Recombinant virus production and purification
- Cellular Biology:
- Cell culture, cell isolation
- Functional studies
- Flow cytometry
- ELISA, Elispot assay
- Cytokine assay
- Antibody production and purification
- Breeding and screening transgenic mice
- Blood collection
- Surgical procedures
- Database management of colony
- Maintains detailed records of results which may include collecting, extracting and entering data.
- Manipulates, interprets and/or presents results.
- Prepares charts and graphs andfor presentations and publications.
- Performs scientific literature searches in support of research.
- Completes portions of grant applications, manuscripts and publications.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a basic science and no experience, or 2 years practical lab/bench experience is required; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
Minimum Competencies: (Skills, knowledge, and abilities.)
- Demonstrated laboratory experience;
- Demonstrated ability to follow detailed instructions as required by research protocols;
- Demonstrated computer skills, including spreadsheets and basic computations;
- Attention to detail and accurate record keeping;
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment;
- Manual dexterity.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in Chemistry/Biology; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.
Date Posted: 3/24/2016