The Senior Developer participates as technical expert in design, development, coding, testing, and/or debugging of major new software and/or significant enhancements to existing software, which may include applications over multiple platforms. This role guides and advises junior staff. This role manages complex projects independently and assists in estimating and planning for future development work. The developer performs complex system integration tasks.
This position will reside in the Center for Data Science and Informatics (formerly NUBIC) and will have design responsibilities for the architecture, direction, and implementation of software development projects. The incumbent may lead a small team of developers. The Senior Developer will be expected to work well and closely with faculty and staff of the Feinberg School of Medicine.
- Provides application development leadership for new and existing software applications.
- Partners with user in designing features for technology.
- Provides recommendation on how to enhance system for future growth.
- Advises/recommends project and activities as related to system/architectural direction and strategy.
- Develops and implements procedures for data security, management and compliance
- Creates and maintains code documentation.
- Creates ad hoc administrative reports.
- Delivers system presentations and overviews.
- Evaluates feature/upgrade/change requests and recommends action.
- Researches new technologies to enhance current system.
- Provides technical leadership on projects.
- Acts as subject matter expert (SME) in appropriate technologies and business domain.
- Designs, codes, tests, debugs and documents all phases of applications development.
- Codes software applications adhering to designs supporting internal business requirements or external user.
- Troubleshoots complex, difficult issues.
- Designs databases and data structures.
- Provides recommendations on how to enhance system to meet full business requirements.
- Determines project feasibility and how to integrate with current system.
- Provides work direction to team members.
- Supervises staff such as team members, subordinates, contractors, vendors, students, etc.
- Coaches and mentors staff.
- Manages projects ensuring timelines and deliverables are met and meet expectations.
- Provides input to staff assignments.
- Provides input to performance evaluations for junior team members.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree in a major such as computer science, information technology, or related; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- 4 years of relevant experience required.
- Excellent communications skills, both oral and written.
- Excellent organizational and problem solving skills.
- Team Player: ability to build effective collaboration and trust in a team environment.
- Multi-tasking: ability to work on multiple projects simultaneously
- Attention to detail: must be able to manage a complex project and maintain accuracy while working on complex tasks.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Code Repositories (Git, Subversion), information security, Linux Operating System, Mac OS X Operating, System, Oracle and Oracle RAC, SQL/MySQL/Postgres
- Complaince: HIPAA
- Analytical: Critical thinking, database design/data structure, debugging, decision making, enterprise architecture, problem solving, troubleshooting
- Project: agile environment, code documentation, collaboration and teamwork, facilitating collaboration, iterative and incremental development, Scrum project framework, worldflow development and documentation, writing proposals and project charters.
- Experience leading a team or managing a team of developers.
- Experience working in a University environment.
- Experience with support of researchers and scientists.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.