The IT Service Delivery Manager plans, staffs, and supervises Service Desk and Desktop support services that Northwestern IT provides to faculty, staff and students. This position is responsible for operating a world-class support center and leads Technology Support Services unit in:
- Providing front-level support to Northwestern University faculty, staff, and students for all NUIT services.
- Working in partnership with technology leaders in schools and departments to coordinate service delivery between the central IT units and the distributed IT units.
- Proactively offering services to enable the University community to more effectively manage their personal computing environment.
- Collaborating with Northwestern IT management and colleagues to plan and deliver effective end user computing services.
- Performing management functions including recruitment, budgeting, procurement, contract negotiations, and personnel evaluations and actions.
Leadership and Supervision:
- Leads and motivates a customer-focused team that encompasses the Service Desk and Desktop Support functions of Technology Support Services to provide front-level support to Northwestern University faculty, staff, and students.
- Performs team management activities including recruiting, onboarding, training, evaluating, managing, and developing assigned staff and student employees.
- Stresses that effective customer service and IT service management are the cornerstones of a professional work environment and ensures this is internalized by staff.
- Promotes a team environment oriented to collaborative communication and innovative thinking.
Customer Service Delivery:
- Develops and monitors team and individual performance metrics to ensure that OLA and SLA targets are consistently met.
- Effectively measures user satisfaction with IT services, and works within the NU IT community to improve services and satisfaction over time.
- Provides service delivery performance reports to IT management as scheduled or requested.
- Facilitates ongoing client service delivery review meetings to assess SLA performance, actual and perceived service quality, and service improvement opportunities.
- Advises University schools and departments about technology and the appropriate deployment of Northwestern IT services offerings.
- Participates in researching end-user device technologies that meet customer experience needs, including demonstrations of such technology.
- Analyzes customer service feedback surveys and coordinates service improvement initiatives accordingly.
- Represents Technology Support Services dept. at customer meetings, internal IT meetings, and meetings with distributed IT unit personnel.
- Works to continuous improve the Northwestern IT brand and service value to the NU community at large.
- Consults with University schools and departments on appropriate new services that enhance delivery of support while recommending achievable goals and resource requirements.
- Identifies areas of the University that would benefit from centralized support services. Oversees the creation and successful execution of Service Level Agreements with these customers.
- Effectively contributes to project efforts within Northwestern IT including Knowledge Centered Support (KCS) and online service catalog and metrics reporting enhancements.
- Promotes team environment of open communication and information sharing.
- Participates in strategic planning and continuous service improvement discussions.
- Participates in annual budget planning.
- Pursues professional development opportunities including presenting at and attending appropriate conferences and training.
- Participates in interview process for new hires outside of Technology Support Services.
- Assigns team members to projects as required while also providing guidance and support to achieve project goals.
- Ensures that project and support deliverables are completed on time and with excellent quality.
- Proactively researches and recommends IT service management tools and solutions as appropriate.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- College degree in computer science, MIS, or a related field or equivalent education and experience is required.
- Seven years' experience in IT support with a track record of high performance and increasing responsibility.
- Five years managing technical staff with direct responsibility for a reasonably sized team supporting information technology.
- Demonstrated experience in ITIL key process areas.
- Excellent staff management skills, including: Experience in selection and hiring of customer-focused staff members; Clear programs of staff development through training and mentoring; Clear expression of expectations, goals, and timelines, with appropriate delegation, monitoring of progress
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including public speaking and the ability to clearly present technology solutions and services to non-technical staff and administrators.
- ITIL V3 Certification.
- Infrastructure (extends across applications): Microsoft Exchange, Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, Outlook), Microsoft SharePoint.
- Analytical: critical thinking, decision making, judgment, problem solving, troubleshooting, use-case analysis.
- Project: budgeting, collaboration and teamwork, functional documentation, organizational skills, planning, workflow development & documentation.
- Ability to establish and maintain respectful and effective relationships with management, co-workers and customers.
- Ability to work effectively with a range of responsible parties throughout the University, either as a project leader or as a team member, to advance projects to timely and successful completion.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze problems from multiple points of view, to lead consensus building within groups with differing views, and to translate consensus into planned action.
- Demonstrated familiarity with desktop computing, ticketing system environments and enhanced ACD solutions.
- Ability to act on own initiative to further organizational and University goals.
- Master's degree in Computer Science or a related field.
- Past experience in university or highly-decentralized corporate environment with career emphasis on planning and delivering end user support services.
- HDI or PMP certification.
- Experience working with BMC Footprints Service Management tool.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.