About the Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University:
The Kellogg School of Management at Northwestern University develops brave leaders who inspire growth in people, organizations and markets. Based just outside of Chicago, the school is a global leader in management education, renowned for its distinctive thought leadership and pioneering approach to learning. Kellogg offers an innovative portfolio of programs: four Full-Time MBA programs including the accelerated One-Year MBA and Two-Year MBA options, and joint degree programs with the engineering and law schools; a Part-Time MBA Program; the premier Executive MBA global network; and extensive non-degree Executive Education programs.
The Business Intelligence (BI)/Data Solution Architect is responsible for the architecture of data and BI solutions that are required to enable Kellogg School of Management's business objectives. The BI/Data Solution Architect will report to Associate Director, Application Architecture and Development and will play a key role in implementing the IT strategy that best meets Kellogg's business needs.
Please Note: This positions requires occasional evening/weekend work (up to 15%).
- Provides thought leadership relative to data and reporting domains.
- Develops and maintains multi-year life cycle for various sub-areas in the Business Intelligence domain, in alignment with business needs.
- Monitors technology trends that can impact or further the business, and proactively plan to address and/or adopt them.
- Assists in developing the work breakdown structure, and estimates the work effort for project technology components;
- Develops, extends, and manages data models for various subject areas;
- Gains knowledge of business processes, metrics, and data lifecycles in key business areas;
- Designs, builds, and provides ongoing maintenance for the data warehouse and stores. Develop ETL, reports, datasets, and dashboards and conduct data analysis as needed.
- Owns solution architecture responsibilities relative to data, reporting, and BI projects within Kellogg.
- Acts as a technology consultant to Business Analysts, Project Managers, and other team members on BI/Data projects.
- Working in a cross-matrixed environment, manages internal project resources and vendor resources to ensure project delivery commitments are consistently met.
- Provides process and governance guidance to Data Governance group.
- Develops and documents quality standards:
- Creates and maintains development standards and processes for BI.
- Designs and delivers training protocols for the team.
- Ensures quality and compliance by regularly reviewing key metrics.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Successful completion of a full 4-year course of study in an accredited college or university leading to a bachelor's or higher degree; OR appropriate combination of education and experience.
- Experience with SQL Server 2010 + BI and ETL tools (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS).
- 8+ years of IT experience including:
- 5+ years of hands-on experience in BI
- 1+ years of designing, deploying and supporting data governance processes
- Experience with developing BI/Data roadmaps
- Web applications development
- Data modeling (relational and star schema)
- Operating with multiple BI development life cycle approaches
- Deploying BI development best practices in development teams
- Expertise in data management and BI technologies.
- In-depth understanding of the BI landscape and the trends; demonstrated ability to learn new technologies.
- Demonstrated experience in architecting medium to large sized BI applications.
- Demonstrated knowledge and hands-on experience with various BI tools and technologies.
- Demonstrated experience of implementing BI solutions that best meet the competing needs of a number of stakeholders.
- Demonstrated ability to be nimble and agile in a fast changing environment.
- Interest in and ability to conduct industry and peer research to understand the technology landscape and articulate its impact on the institution.
- Excellent project management, business analysis, communication, organization and time management skills.
- Bachelors in Computer Science.
- Experience with PS Query SQR, PL/SQL.
- Experience with development using Cognos development tools.
- Experience with Salesforce.com
- Experience with Self-service BI required.
- Experience with PeopleSoft higher education solutions.
- Experience in higher education.
- Expertise in online educational technologies a plus.
- Experience with developing web applications and APIs using Microsoft .NET
- Experience with integrating systems and demonstrated knowledge of utilizing/consuming SOA web services and protocols (XML, SOAP, JSON, REST).
- Expertise in Microsoft PowerBI, Excel Power Tools required. Experience with multiple data analysis and visualization tools preferred (Tableau, Domo, R, etc).
- Previous experience or willingness to learn CMS Development on platforms such as Sitecore, WordPress, or Drupal.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.