Position:Temporary Animal Care Technician.
Hours: This is a full-time position (40 hours per week/ 6:30am-2:30pm / M-F).
Pay: approximately $15.75 per hour.
This position has an approximate start date of ASAP.
This position has an end date of approximately TBD.
Northwestern University is seeking a temporary Full-time Animal Care Technician for the Chicago campus
Temporary Job Description:
The Temporary Animal Care Technician is responsible for a number of activities that ensure the safety and care of the animals and facilities trusted to CCM. Responsibilities include:
- Cleans & sterilize cages, equipment, supplies, rooms (primary and secondary enclosures), etc;
- Prepares refuse for disposal or incineration;
- Changes cages, equipment, supplies, animals & rooms;
- Feeds & waters animals according to their prescribed diets;
- Observes animals regularly during the day, noting & reporting any variances in eating, drinking or deviation from normal habits, to include obvious health issues with behavior, skin conditions, etc;
- Observes, documents, & reports changes in environmental parameters (i.e., temperature, humidity, lighting, etc.);
- May conduct census counts;
- May administer oral &/or topical medications;
- With appropriate training, may euthanize animals;
- Assists in organizing feed, bedding & dry supplies in storage facilities;
- Completes cage wash activities & animal caretaking check-lists, logs & documentation accurately & within appropriate time-frames;
- Notifies lead if available or management of malfunctioning equipment, may document problem.
- A bachelor's degree or the equivalent combination of education, training and experience;
- Strong writing skills;
- High level of organizational skills and attention to detail;
- Diligent and can work independently;
- Experience working with confidential information;
- Flexibility, adaptability in a fast paced environment.
- AALAS certified preferred;
- Able to lift and move 25-50 lbs;
- Background in animal observation and handling.
- MS Office suite 2010 (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
Date Posted: 3/10/2016
Northwestern University seeks to employ a varied and diverse range of dynamic people who understand the importance of our mission and vision. When you consider a temporary opportunity at Northwestern University, you know that you are joining an institution with a deep history of academic, professional and personal development.
As per Northwestern University policy, this position requires a criminal background check. Successful applicants will need to submit to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Northwestern University is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action Employer of all protected classes including veterans and individuals with disabilities.