To serve as the commander of the vessel to which assigned, in charge of overall safe operations, maintenance, crew accountability and productivity. Able to operate/ navigate Tugs in the River / Inland Marine Fleet efficiently and safely.
Highlighted responsibilities for this position can include, but are not limited to:
-Understand and comply with standard procedures and guidelines for the operation of a safe and environmentally sound vessel.
-Adhere to and be an advocate and authority regarding protocols that deal with prevention of product/petroleum spills and what to do in case of an actual emergency. Alert the Port Captain or Safety officer in the event of even a very minor spill and participate in any investigation to understand and have input in corrective actions.
-Conduct required safety drills including those for spills, man-overboard, fire and mayday. Document in ship logbook and/or other appropriate log.
-Deal with personal injuries by participating in a root cause investigation with the safety officer and Port Captain. Institute a “best practice” for the particular activity that caused the injury. Be a role model for safe behavior and planning safe activities.
- Conduct inspections of your assigned vessel to ensure seaworthy condition and arrange for maintenance and repair activities to correct any deficiencies as seen by him/herself, the crew or a professional surveyor.
-Hold crew accountable for their adherence to maritime law, the policies of the company and their individual performance.
- Work as directed by the Equipment Manager, Port Engineer and/or Marine Superintendents - Conduct safety meetings, complete TSA’s and AHA’s accordingly
- Attend project safety and kick-off meetings - Perform various vessel maneuvers safely. - Manage all levels of crewmembers aboard the vessel - Delegate daily tasks, ensure satisfactory and safe completion of each - On a weekly basis submit accurate payroll hours for crew members - Train new hires and mentor deckhands - Follows all company and work site safety policies/procedures and commits to an “Incident and Injury Free” work environment
*TOWING Experience REQUIRED!!!
* Must have minimum 100 gross registered tons Master/Captain license of United States Coast Guard of towing vessel. A Towing Endorsement is required Near Coastal License.
* Minimum of Three (3) years of experience operating tugboats. Tugboat experience on River maneuvering pushing and pulling commercial vessel preferred * Must have a valid Merchant Mariner Credential * Knowledge of USCG Regulations * Must have valid Driver’s License. * Must have valid Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC) or be able to obtain one * Ability to work well under pressure. * Excellent personal and communication skills. * Self-motivated with “Can-Do” attitude * Successful post-offer background check.
The Boat Captain will have to know basic firefighting skills and basic lifesaving and rescue techniques. They should be familiar with the water and able to swim as well as these attributes:
-Able to influence and motivate people to act.
-Thrives in a fast paced environment
-Exhibit good judgment in matters involving quality of performance.
-Meets deadlines in an environment of interruptions
-Able to work effectively with many different personality types.
-Possess and demonstrate values of honesty, integrity, reliability and consistency.
-Exhibit a strong work ethic.
-Is inquisitive and has good problem solving skills.
- Well organized.
- Detail oriented and thorough.
-Receptive to change.
-An effective planner and continually uses foresight.
-A good listener and communicator.
-Demonstrate professionalism at all times.
-Possess a positive attitude.
-Able to confront issues and hold others accountable, but still treats them with dignity and respect.
Physical Requirements: Must be physically capable of following activities: * Able to lift or carry miscellaneous equipment, supplies and parts up to 50 lbs. unassisted. * Able to navigate around vessels and project sites which may include climbing, kneeling, crawling, stooping and scaling large heights. * Able to climb ladders, walk, bend and crawl into all accessible conditions * Work in all weather conditions including extreme heat and cold