As one of the nation's leading pediatric health care systems, Nemours is committed to providing all children with their best chance to grow up healthy. We offer integrated, family-centered care to more than 300,000 children each year in our pediatric hospitals, specialty clinics and primary care practices in Delaware, Florida, Maryland, New Jersey and Pennsylvania. Nemours strives to ensure a healthier tomorrow for all children â“ even those who may never enter our doors â“ through our world-changing research, education and advocacy efforts. At Nemours, our Associates help us deliver on the promise we make to every family we have the privilege of serving: to treat their child as if they were our own.
The Central Services Technician inspects, cleans, sterilizes, and assembles surgical/patient care instruments and /or equipment, according to the prescribed procedures and techniques documented in the Central Service Policy and Procedure Manual. He/she is also responsible for filling orders for medical supplies/equipment that are requested by the nursing care units and /or ancillary clinics.
Responsible for participation in departmental and hospital programs for Quality Assessment and Improvement, identifying opportunities to improve services, making recommendations and implementing actions as appropriate and consistent with goals of the Nemours Foundation
- Operates gas plasma (sterrad) sterilizers, along with the high vacuum steam and gravity sterilizers, according to manufacture's specifications.
- Maintain accurate records of the sterilization processes and all of the parameters associated with the sterilization cycles.
- Regulates and adjust sterilization parameters as to cycle pressure, cycle time, temperature and cycle selection.
- Performs biological and chemical monitoring tests on steam autoclave, as often as needed. Also interpret and maintain accurate records of the results.
- Cleans and maintains all sterilizers according to manufactures recommendations.
- Prepares the operating room's surgical case carts according to the requisition received from the operating room. Also inspects sterilized packages and trays before transporting to the operating room for damages in accordance with the Central Service Event-Related Shelf Life Policy.
- Assembles and performs quality control checks for all instruments trays used for surgery â“ tray is always assembled according to the most current count sheet.
- Performs various clerical functions such as, answering telephones, ordering of surgical patient supplies, and keeping accurate records of these activities.
- Is knowledgeable of medical and surgical supplies used throughout the Hospital and is able to identify them.
- Responsible for distribution/delivery of medical of medical instrumentation as requested in a reasonable time frame.
- Knowledge of inventory control with relationship to par level refill systems.
- Is knowledgeable and adheres to O.S.H.A. regulation relating directly to Central Service.
- Is knowledgeable and adheres to Universal Blood Precautions.
- Maintains work area in a clean, neat and orderly fashion.
- Responsible for participating departmental and hospital programs for Quality Assessment and Improvement and working with department management to improve the services provided.
- Performs other related duties as requested by the manager or designee
I. Education, Training and Experience
- High School Graduate or G.E.D. Diploma
- Three to five years of progressive experience in a Central Service environment (Preferred)
- Certified Sterile Processing Technician
II. Licenses, Registrations or Certifications
- Required: Certified Registered Central Service Technician from IAHCSMM or CBSPD
PHYSICAL ABILITIES AND ENVIRONMENT
A. Physical Demands
- Ability to lift at least 50 lbs.
- Ability to bend, stoop, reach and stretch.
- Exposure to various chemical disinfectants.
C. Environmental Conditions
- Work in restricted sterile control and decontamination areas.
- Work around heated autoclaves that exceed 250 degrees F
Our dedication to professionals who are dedicated to children frequently earns Nemours a spot on the list of top workplaces in the communities we serve. Our Associates enjoy comprehensive benefits, including our unique âœBridge to a Healthy Futureâ pediatric health plan, an integrated wellness program, opportunities for professional growth, and much more. As an equal opportunity employer, Nemours focuses on the best-qualified applicants for our openings.