The RN – Surgical Pre-Operative Care Specialist will serve in an expanded nursing role to collaborate with surgical patients and their Care Teams, overseeing all aspects of the care continuum, ensuring delivery of well-coordinated seamless care that ensures the delivery of quality, efficient, and cost-effective health care services. This will include accessing the patient's medical history, diagnostic testing, lab testing, surgical risk factors, their history and physical. Based on the assessment, this position is responsible for reviewing the data, interpreting the results, determining the proper communication and ensuring that follow up was completed. This position will collaborate with the Pre-op Coordination Team to ensure that a patient is medically, emotionally and spiritually optimized well in advance of their scheduled surgery/procedure, including addressing social needs of the patient.
1. Utilizes the nursing process: assessment, planning, intervention and evaluation in all aspects of the patient's pre-op and post-op surgical needs to ensure that patients are optimized prior to their surgery or procedure.
2. Collaborates and coordinates both pre-op and post-op needs of the patient with other team members.
3. Records all nursing documentation in the electronic medical record in a clear, concise and accurate manner.
4. Assesses the healthcare, educational and psychosocial needs of the patient.
5. Works independently to review and analyze all pre-surgical workup results.
6. Addresses ongoing patient needs and education.
7. Ensures anesthesia guidelines are met regarding preoperative testing.
8. Completes and reviews all patient screening tool and contacts support resources as needed
9. Lead development of standardized protocols.
10. Reviews home medication list and instructs patient on pre-operative medication administration per anesthesia guidelines.
11. Proactively communicates concerns to providers to ensure early intervention of potential issues with pre-surgical optimization.
12. Refers patients, as needed, to appropriate ancillary departments (care management).
13. Communicates with surgical entity any pertinent day of surgery needs.
14. May collaborate with medical and surgical providers, as appropriate (location/ environment/ site) for surgical procedure based on patient assessment including medical history, surgical risk factors, analysis of lab and diagnostic testing.
15. Participates in the development of and attends in-service and continuing education programs to maintain current skill level.
16. Assists in the organization and development of policies and procedures.
17. Remains current on all policies and procedures that reflect the philosophies and objectives of SSM.
18. Must be able to maintain professionalism in all interactions and communication.
19. Attends and participates in staff meetings for problem solving and departmental goal setting.
Join our team for an online chat! There is no formal agenda, just jump online from your computer, smartphone or tablet to share your experiences, ask questions and learn about opportunities. It's as simple as texting with a friend.Click hereto register today! Qualifications
1. Graduation from an accredited school of nursing and current state license in the state of WI.
2. Minimum of five years of medical/surgical nursing experience.
3. Strong written and verbal communication skills, with previous phone assessment experience.
4. Demonstrated exceptional critical thinking skills with the ability to exercise independent and sound judgement in decision making, utilizing all relevant information.
5. Ability to identify, analyze and implement problem solving techniques
6. Show initiative for self-development and continued education
7. Collaboration with a number of other health care workers; Accept, give direction, display initiative, flexibility and adaptability.
8. Demonstrates high level time management, organizational skills and priority setting.
9. Proficient in EPIC.
1. Bachelor's degree in Nursing (BSN)
2. Has knowledge of EPIC.
3. Certification in a relevant field (for example: CPAN, CAPA, ABCGN)
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Internal Number: 17011321
About SSM Health
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your family and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same