Performs a variety of tasks primarily related to the preparation, service, support, supply and sanitation functions in a food service environment. Typical tasks may include some or all of the following, but are not limited to:
1. Friendly, efficient service and presentation of food to customers.
2. Answer questions related to foods (and ingredients) served.
3. Assure proper temperature of food.
4. Perform finish production such as sandwich preparation, grilling, slicing, assembling, preparing foods for service, mixing beverages, etc.
5. Maintain a neat and orderly service area.
6. Restock food and supplies as requested.
7. Assist with preparation and service for special functions, buffets, etc.
8. Clean and sanitize work area, tables, chairs, pots and pans, utensils and equipment.
9. Remove trash and dispose of in proper containers.
10. Remove soiled trucks to dishroom.
11. Break down soiled trays of food and sort various components into proper areas in preparation for washing.
12. Feed and unload conveyor dishwashing machines, store clean dishes in designated areas, and sort silverware.
13. Operate, clean and maintain equipment, including dishwashing machines, juice and milk dispensers, ice cream dispensers, etc.
14. Ensure proper use of dishwashing machines with regard to appropriate use of cleaning supplies, correct operating temperature and overall operation of machines.
15. Set up rooms for functions and move related furniture as needed.
16. Assist in unloading delivery trucks and in storing foodstuffs as needed.
17. Observe departmental standards for safety and sanitation.
18. Maintain a neat, well-groomed appearance.
19. Perform other tasks, including cashier/check or other duties, as requested.
- Positive and friendly customer relations skills.
- Ability to understand and follow instruction.
- Basic math ability relating to portion control, counting, restocking, and cashier/checker duties.
- High manual dexterity (quickness, accuracy and safety).
- Ability to complete tasks quickly, thoroughly and safely.
- Ability to handle complex duties, anticipate needs and juggle multiple tasks where priorities have been pre-established.
- Ability to operate assigned equipment correctly and safely.
- Ability to lift goods or equipment weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Ability to stand for extended periods of time.
Recruiting Start Date:
Job Posting Title:
Food Service Worker
Dining Services Union Rates
Scheduled Weekly Hours:
Please note that in order to be considered an applicant for any staff position at Brown University you must submit an application form for each position for which you believe you are qualified. Applications are not kept on file for future positions. Please include a cover letter and resume with each position application.
Brown University is committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive academic global community; as an EEO/AA employer, Brown considers applicants for employment without regard to, and does not discriminate on the basis of, gender, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, race, protected veteran status, disability, or any other legally protected status.
Internal Number: REQ143276
About Brown University
Located in historic Providence, Rhode Island and founded in 1764, Brown University is the seventh-oldest college in the United States. Brown is an independent, coeducational Ivy League institution comprising undergraduate and graduate programs, plus the Alpert Medical School, School of Engineering, Executive Master of Healthcare Leadership and the IE Brown Executive MBA.