Under general direction of the Director, the Athletic Media Relations Manager is responsible for facilitating the media relations component of the intercollegiate athletics program. Essential Functions:
1. Designs and implements media relations strategies for 4-5 athletic teams per year. Responsibilities for this aspect of the position include collaborating with coaching staff to produce timely, accurate and compelling team information, serving as lead team liaison for all media requests, managing team social media accounts, etc.
2. Proactively seeks opportunities for positive media exposure with newspapers, radio, television and any other media outlets, as well as fulfills requests from media outlets.
3. Hires, trains and supervises game day media relations staff (for more than 150 events per year).
4. Required to attend most other team athletic events to fulfill the unit’s media relations responsibilities.
5. Collaborates with the University’s media relations department for the dissemination of athletic information, as well as the response to crisis communication situations.
6. Designs, produces, and disseminates press information guides.
7. Contributes to the management of all aspects of the Athletics website.
8. Contributes to the event management and promotion of athletics events.
9. Assists with the live broadcast (audio and video) of athletics events.
10. Assists in special projects.
11. Performs other duties as assigned or requested.
Required: Bachelor’s degree- Two (2) years’ experience in media relations, communications, or a related field.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Solid understanding of various media forms and communications used within industry.
Knowledge of NCAA and conference rules and regulations.
Strong interpersonal and communication skills with ability to get message across by adopting a range of styles, tools and techniques appropriate to the audience and nature of information. Ability to deal with a wide range of people with tact and diplomacy.
Ability to effectively communicate verbally and in writing, both internally and externally.
Strong organizational skills and ability to handle multiple tasks and meet deadlines.
Ability to proactively identify communications opportunities and develop supporting programs.
Working knowledge of publishing software, MS Office, video editing software, various content management software system software.
Working knowledge of various social media outlets.
The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Requires extended periods of sitting and repetitive hand/wrist motion while using computer keyboard and phone. Occasional standing, walking, walking across campus, climbing stairs, bending, stooping and reaching. Constant verbal and written communication. Occasional lifting/carrying up to 50 pounds.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work is primarily performed in a standard office environment with use of computer and phone. Work also performed in sports facilities. Must be prepared to work non-business hours and weekends. Travel is required for some road contests of assigned teams.
Additional Salary Information: To commemorate with experience
Internal Number: 201301274P
About University of the Pacific
Pacific is one of the most distinctive, student-centered national universities in the West. We offer undergraduates accelerated degree programs, vast study abroad opportunities, hands-on learning, a four-year graduation guarantee, a broad selection of courses, and according to U.S. News & World Report, a “Great School at a Great Price."