The Health Information Scanning Clerk, under the supervision of the Health Information Supervisor, is responsible for scanning all approved patient information into the Dean Electronic Medical Record (Epic). Individuals will perform a variety of moderately complex tasks that are highly confidential and defined by established policy and procedure. In order to scan appropriately, the position involves understanding the document types and their correlation to Epic encounters/orders and determining which Epic activities to access.
1. Analyze PHI documents to establish if scanning is necessary and then determine the document type/scanning protocol to use.
2. Scan documents to appropriate encounters/orders/document list within Epic computer application using complex, multi-level approach.
3. Review legal/advanced directive documents, verify signatures and upload the documents in the electronic format, following protocols.
4. Manage these multiple complex tasks while maintaining department production and quality requirements.
5. Maintain knowledge of all scanning requirements in order to scan documents correctly.
6. Communicate with supervisor and occasionally managers, providers, patients, employers, to complete tasks accurately and in a timely manner.
7. Maintain high level of confidentiality with patient information.
8. Contribute ideas/solutions for process quality improvement.
9. Perform other duties and assist in department projects as assigned.
1. High school diploma or equivalent with 2-3 years of relevant experience.
2. Previous PC training and experience and the ability to type 30 words per minute with full keyboard knowledge.
3. Ability to work effectively with others.
4. Excellent organizational, time management, communication skills, and attention to detail.
5. Ability to work with highly confidential information.
1. Previous Medical terminology training.
2. Previous experience using Epic EHR.
3. Entry level knowledge of MS Outlook, MS Work and MS Excel.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to read fine print.
4. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as pulling charts, filing paper, writing, computer or phone tasks.
5. Ability to safely lift and push/pull boxes, charts or carts weighing up to 20 pounds.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
Internal Number: 17007242
About SSM Health
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your family and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same