University of Maryland Baltimore is currently seeking a Contracting Specialist to work within the Department of Strategic Sourcing & Acquisition Services. The selected candidate performs procurement and contract management activities of the most complex nature including all aspects of transactions from client needs analysis, design of procurement methodology, determination of successful vendor criteria, negotiations, contract administration and closing of the contract. Items procured may be specialized in nature giving rise to unique situations with complex specifications, limited market sources, and close price competition.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that includes 22 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
· Researches end user's needs and provides solutions that may include developing a complex request for proposal, determining if sole sources or new sources are appropriate or the use of novel approaches such as e-procurement.
· Serves as liaison between campus and vendor community, supplying end users with information on sources, discounts, pricing and delivery provisions. Strategizes on-going contract administration issues such as renewal periods and terms and conditions.
· Where responsibilities include oversight of a procurement program: drafts campus practices that conform to University and State policy, trains client end users, oversees and analyzes effective use of program capabilities.
· Communicates on and negotiates differences on critical points and specific contractual provisions. Designs procurement methodology, determines successful vendor criteria and closes the contract.
· Coaches internal clients on the effective use of modern tools and distributed systems like vendor web-sites, e-procurement and the procurement card.
· May serve as a lead over Buyers or administrative staff.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: Bachelor's degree in a related field. Experience: Four (4) years of progressively related experience. Certification: Certified Purchasing Manager or similar certification desirable but not required. Financial disclosure is required. Credit history review may be required. KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
Expert knowledge of established statutes, regulations, decisions, directives, and procedures such as those for the University System and State of Maryland.
Expert oral and written communication skills.
Specific subject matter knowledge in items procured (i.e., scientific/medical, information technology contracts)
Provide mentoring to those with less knowledge of buying and/or contract management with the ability to oversee, motivate, and lead subordinate staff.
Ability to effectively implement high-level analytical and organizational skills in order to carry out and follow through with complex assignments for which no clear precedents exist.
Skill in conducting complicated negotiations and gaining agreement from suppliers, general contractors or other interested parties.
Ability to continually monitor a long term and complex contract including follow-up and evaluation of vendor performance in accordance with contract terms; reviewing and negotiating contract amendment requests for appropriate pricing and contract terms; processing approved contract amendments; handling of disputes between the vendor and the University, and acting as a liaison between the vendor and the University's project manager.
The highest level is a multi-tasking, highly complex, contract administrator who requires minimal supervision.
Ability to lead project teams for complex procurements and contracts involving several end users and/or long term contracts.
Hiring Range: Mid $60K to low $80K - Commensurate with education and experience
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, globa...l health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.