The University of Illinois seeks a(n) Database & Electronic Publishing Associate. This position acts as the single point of organizational contact for IRIS (Integrated Relational Information System); JADE (Journals Administrative Database Experience); and TULIP (Tracking, Utilizing, and Licensing Intellectual Property). These FileMaker-based relational database platforms synchronize information shared across all Press departments and the Press website. This position will also assist the Electronic Publisher and the Press Web Programmer with tasks related to the presentation of books and journals online. Additional responsibilities include:
1. Maintains IRIS. Develops and customizes the platform to meet requests from Press staff for new features and reports. Acts as the single contact point of University of Illinois Press’ IRIS database for Press staff. Serves on planning and organizational committees as needed to accommodate Press departments.
2. Runs requested reports and exports of data from IRIS into multiple file formats for outside vendors, distribution center systems, and internal use.
3. Updates database with latest versions of FileMaker and ensures all functionality is maintained. Documents all scripts/special programming for business resumption. Maintains/Updates Iris Operational Manual.
4. Maintains Press website under guidance of Electronic Publisher and Web Programmer to ensure site is up to date and meets Title II requirements for website accessibility. Monitors website traffic patterns and reports to Electronic Publisher on trends and usage issues.
5. Provides online user support and troubleshooting for individual and institutional member access to Press-hosted journals. Responds to institutional journal subscriber requests for online usage reports.
6. Assists with preparation and transmittal of book and journal production files. Assists with conversion of production files to create HTML-formatted materials for Press-hosted journals sites
7. Other tasks appropriate to this position as needed.
Candidates must possess a Bachelor's degree in a technology-related field with a minimum 3 – 4 years of experience with Web programming and design. Other requirements include: extensive experience with HTML and XML formats; demonstrate expertise with web-scripting languages; familiarity with Linux, Apache, MySQL, PHP; extensive database programming experience; high level of technical knowledge; must be detail oriented; able to multitask; strong problem-solving, interpersonal, and communication skills.
Preferred qualifications include: experience with FileMaker and a broad practical knowledge of PC and Macintosh hardware platforms.
This is a full-time, 12-month Academic Professional position. For full consideration, candidates must apply and submit a letter of application, resume, and names/addresses/phone numbers of three professional references by January 26, 2018 at https://uajobs.hr.uillinois.edu/.
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
System Human Resource Services
The University of Illinois is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer dedicated to building a community of excellence, equity and diversity. The System Offices welcome applications from women, underrepresented minorities, individuals with disabilities, protected veterans, sexual minority groups and other candidates who will lead and contribute to the diversification and enrichment of ideas and perspectives.
The University of Illinois System is the state's flagship public university system. The three distinct universities in Urbana-Champaign, Chicago and Springfield serve the people of Illinois through a shared commitment to our missions of excellence in teaching, research, public service and economic development. The University of Illinois Hospital and Health Sciences System provides healthcare to th...e citizens of Chicago and is the largest educator of healthcare professionals in the state. Our universities attract the nation's most talented students with hundreds of undergraduate, graduate and professional programs, many of them ranked among the best in the United States. We are also the state's largest educator. More than 80,000 students are enrolled at our campuses and thousands more take classes off campus and online. The University of Illinois is a world leader in research and discovery. Our internationally renowned faculty win more federal research dollars than all other public Illinois universities and colleges combined, resulting in priceless new knowledge and life-changing breakthroughs in medicine, agriculture and technology. We are a university system that belongs to the people of Illinois. Our faculty, staff and students share their knowledge and expertise and the resources of the U of I with citizens in every corner of the state through more than 700 public service and outreach programs. The System also has an impressive impact on the state's economy. The University of Illinois produces nearly $14 billion in direct and indirect economic impact on the state, including supporting and creating more than 176,000 jobs. For every dollar the state spends on the U of I, the System returns $4.60 to the Illinois economy. And the increased earning power of hundreds of thousands of alumni living in Illinois results in additional tax revenue for our state.