The current Health Systems Project in India is conceptualized with the overarching objective to address the gaps in systems analyses and build capacity in India to conduct evidence-based health system and policy (HSP) research to identify and address causes of poor health outcomes.
The central research questions that the project aims to address are: - What are the underlying causes of poor health system performance in India? - What is the relative role of the government and the market in financing and providing health care, given that government funding is limited, and governance is poor? - How can the public sector be improved? - What rules of games could be put in place to create a market environment in which the private sector would operate that would likely lead to socially desirable outcomes, including equitable and affordable access to quality and efficient health care?
To answer these research questions, the project consists of four principal components:
1) Developing and delivering the Flagship Course for Health Systems Strengthening and Sustainable Financing in India. The course will be developed using new and adapted course materials to address the specific Indian context, and it will be held nationally each year.
2) Developing a case library composed of new and revised materials developed for the specific Indian context. Based on the Flagship analytical framework on health systems, the cases will go beyond narrative to impart applicable content on health systems design.
3) Conducting detailed HSP research and capacity-building in two specific Indian states – Odisha and Maharashtra. This project will assess the two states' health system, determine the underlying, policy-based causes of its weaknesses, and develop recommended interventions for implementation by the government. These interventions will be monitored and evaluated for effectiveness.
4) Conducting research and developing innovative solutions for
- 1+ years of related experience required; a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- 2+ years of experience in undertaking research in health related fields is strongly preferred. - Bachelor's Degree is strongly preferred. - Master's Degree is a plus - Experience with MS Excel and/or SPSS - Analytical skills, strong written and communication skills, ability to work in teams
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. T...he University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.