This position directs university research and sponsored programs efforts, administers U.S. Department of Education grant-funded programs, and supervises classified staff. The position supports the university's mission to develop partnerships between faculty and students to extend scholarship to important areas of research and practice.
Manage university's pre-award research administration
- Provide leadership, guidance, and necessary support to faculty and staff in the development of research projects and in the preparation and submission of applications for funding.
- Approve proposed grant application budgets.
- Monitor, manage, and disseminate all relevant information related to grant application and management.
- Coordinate grant application and administration activities with college deans, business and financial affairs, student success, and academic and student life.
- Monitor and interpret for use all relevant regulations and practices associated with federal, state, local, and private funding sources.
- Negotiate indirect costs with nonfederal agencies.
- Coordinate agreements and subcontracts between the university and contractors.
- Administer nonfinancial post-award actions, i.e., no-cost extensions, award transfers from other universities, FFATA reporting.
- Assume administrative responsibility for interfacing with internal regulatory groups such as Human Subjects, Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee, Environmental Health and Safety, and Internal Audit.
- Plan, implement, and participate in proposal writing and related training sessions for faculty and staff.
- Provide troubleshooting assistance and intervention for all aspects of grant application and administration.
- Maintain currency in field of research administration.
- Develop and implement CWU grant and sponsored research policies.
- Provide guidance to directors and staff in centers and grant programs affiliated with Graduate Studies and Research.
- Participate in appropriate professional organizations.
Manage selected federally funded grant programs.
- Implement programs, including hiring directors and classified staff, negotiate subcontracts for service providers, and provide general programmatic and fiscal oversight.
Hire and supervise staff in Research and Sponsored Programs office, and selected federally funded grant programs.
- Actively engages in recruitment and hiring new employees;
- Clearly defines performance expectations, ensure accountability, and provides ongoing informal feedback, coaching, and mentoring. Conducts formal performance evaluations;
- Ensures employees have necessary resources;
- Oversees and directs the work of staff; serves as mentor, coach and leader, and resolves complaints or issues;
- Promotes professional development opportunities;
- Develops and fosters supportive working relationships, motivation and engagement;
- Communicates information to staff on an ongoing basis to influence staff engagement and to be a part of a larger community;
- Takes corrective action in a timely manner;
- Recognizes and rewards employees for good performance;
- Schedules employee work hours/shifts; monitor hours worked; approve payable time and absence requests;
- Adjusts leadership style as needed to achieve results;
-Recognizes value of and promotes diverse workforce. Values and encourages diverse perspectives, creativity and teamwork
- Other duties as assigned.
Significant experience in pre-award and/or post-award research administration.
Excellent written and oral and communications skills; excellent interpersonal skills.
Demonstrated ability to write and edit grant proposals, and interpret agency guidelines.
Demonstrated ability to develop and monitor numerous budgets and implement programs.
OR applicable combination of education and/or experience which demonstrates the ability to perform the essential functions of the position.
Certified Research Administrator
Experience with audits
Accountability/Dependability: Accepts responsibility for quality of own work; acknowledges and corrects mistakes. Shows up on time, meets standards, deadlines and work schedules.
Judgement: Makes timely, informed decisions. Analyzes options and determines appropriate course of action.
Teamwork: Promotes cooperation and mutual support to achieve goals. Encourages participation and mutual support.
Adaptability/Flexibility: Responds positively to changing business needs and responsibilities. Adapts approach and methods to achieve results; recovers quickly from setbacks and finds alternatives.
Commitment to Diversity: Recognizes the value of diversity and helps create environment that supports and embraces diversity.
Pay, Benefits, & Work Schedule
Salary: Dependent upon qualifications and experience
Working Conditions: Work is performed in an indoor office setting with frequent in-person interactions. It is essential to be able to remain at a desk/computer work station for prolonged periods of time, perform computer-related tasks. Some evening or weekend work and/or occasional travel may be required.
Benefits: CWU offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, retirement and optional savings plans, life and disability insurance, along with vacation and sick leave plans depending on employment classification. For additional information please visit: http://www.cwu.edu/hr/benefits-0
How To Apply
To apply for this position, you must complete the on-line application and attach:
A detailed cover letter clearly demonstrating how your education and experience: (a) meet the required (and, as applicable, preferred) qualifications, and (b) demonstrate the ability to perform the responsibilities as described by the posting;
Resume including work history, education, training; and
Contact information for three professional references.
Screening Begins: February 1, 2018
**Priority will be given to applications received by the screening date. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
Please contact Human Resources at email@example.com or 509-963-1202 if you require technical assistance with the on-line application process.
Conditions of Employment
Prior to employment, final candidate(s) will be required to submit to a background check. All information obtained through background investigations will be strictly confidential and revealed only to those required to have access.
Located in historic Ellensburg, Washington, Central Washington University is a public four-year university. Home to over 10,000 students, Central has a commitment to hands-on learning and discovery, which takes students beyond the limits of the classroom and books. Central prepares students to become well-educated citizens who are ready for high-demand careers in the workforce and offers over 150 ...undergraduate majors as well as graduate studies programs and research. To prepare and enable students to succeed in a global economy, Central partners with over 30 colleges and universities around the world.CWU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer/Title IX/Veteran/Disability Employer.