The Registered Nurse, Call Center utilizes knowledge of the nursing process to assist callers in informed decision making regarding health care needs. The Registered Nurse uses data gathering techniques, listening skills, and problem solving. Supported by software incorporating disposition recommendations, educational information and appointment scheduling functions, the steps taken by the nurse are documented and available to relevant providers. Hours of operation are 7 days/week, 24 hours/day.
1. Utilizes the nursing process: assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation in all patient encounters.
2. Performs nursing procedures.
3. Assists medical provider with processing of diagnostic results bringing significant values to the provider's attention. Have knowledge of tests and procedures and their significance as related to patient care.
4. Recognizes the implementation of dosages, interactions, side effects, adverse effects, routes of administration of drugs as they apply to individual patients. Uses knowledge of medications in instructing patients about medication therapy.
5. Triages/screens telephone call related to patient care.
a. Obtains appropriate information with attention to detail and accuracy (i.e. using direct symptom related questions – keeping patient focused.)
b. Makes nursing assessment utilizing, theory and judgment, and patient information.
c. Implements appropriate care using nursing assessment, protocols, and standing orders.
6. Performs delegated medical acts and provides supervision as needed in accordance with the Nurse Practice Act to the LPNs and unlicensed personnel.
7. Assesses patient status to determine need for treatment or intervention in life threatening situations. Participates using emergency standing orders if needed, or under the direct supervision of a medical provider.
8. Establishes working relationships teaching protocols for patient education, family counseling and general public information.
9. Takes a leadership role in the facilitation of department functions including mentoring new staff and ensuring policies & procedures are followed.
10. Leads and participates in site process and policy improvement teams.
11. Cross train and staff other departments as needed.
12. Assists in the development and implementation of policies, protocols, standing orders and quality assurance standards.
13. Demonstrates strong assessment skills during the telephone interview with clients.
14. Demonstrates the ability to perform complex telephone interviews following the prescribed format, in a timely manner.
15. Consistently educates clients, following self-care advice, displaying sensitivity toward education, ethnicity, and socioeconomic factors.
16. Demonstrates awareness of community resources available to callers, and facilitates access as appropriate.
17. Demonstrates nursing judgment in overriding recommended disposition when necessary.
18. Participates in management of all programs supported by Call Center.
19. Completes necessary follow-up as indicated by recommended disposition, and nursing judgment, to include:
a. Contact Patient Care Services Department
b. Contact Emergency Department or Urgent Care
1. Graduate of an accredited school of nursing with licensure or eligible for licensure in the State of Wisconsin.
2. Three years of Registered Nurse experience with particular expertise in medical/surgical, pediatrics or maternal/child health.
3. Must complete and pass the Proficiency Assessment delivered at the conclusion of the onboarding program.
4. Knowledge of or interest in learning computer data entry and retrieval skills.
5. Strong communication skills.
6. Must function well in an autonomous environment and possess analytical decision making skills.
7. Previous experience in telephone triage or similar function.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to work multiple shift hours.
2. Ability to continuously sit for extended periods.
3. Ability to continuously see fine print and to use the computer for extended periods.
4. Ability to hear and converse on the phone.
5. Ability to continuously perform fine motor tasks, such as computer, writing or phone tasks.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your fa...mily and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same