Starting Salary Range: 14.81-20.38 Commensurate with experience
Employee group: Full-Time
Employee subgroup: Non-Exempt
Schedule: 40 hours per week; Monday-Friday 8:30-5:00
Location: Johns Hopkins East Baltimore Campus
Coordinates the day-to-day activities of a multi-faceted medical practice to ensure a smoothly functioning office and good patient relations. Serves as administrative assistant to multiple faculty members. Resolves patient problems, third party issues (including insurance) and refers patients to appropriate resources.
Offers friendly, courteous, and confidential assistance to patients to ensure that the patient has a positive experience. Maintains accurate and detailed information on each patient to facilitate a successful patient encounter. Uses automated systems to expedite patient scheduling, pre-registration, and check-in. Works with others in a team environment exhibiting professionalism and exemplary customer service skills.
Specific duties & responsibilities:
• Schedules patients for new and returns appointments, medical examinations, procedures and consultations.
• Resolves any scheduling conflicts in proactive and timely manner. Demonstrates awareness of limitations of institutional resources, and seeks to maximize physician scheduling within this context.
• Provides high level of coordination and communication for international and domestic patients, including scheduling multiple visits within a short time frame.
• Follows and helps creates processes and systems to ensure high level of service to patients. Proactively seeks to schedule/reschedule patients to efficiently utilize resources (e.g., backfill to cover cancellations or add urgent appointments, etc.).
• Provides exemplary customer service by utilizing service excellence techniques such as scripting, service recovery and rounding to ensure that patient expectations are exceeded during clinic visit. Resolves and/or escalates any patient problems if proactive and timely manner.
• Verifies and enters pre-registration and insurance information into the computer system and prepares daily printed schedules for designated areas. Resolves third party issues.
• Demonstrates understanding and sensitivity to diversity. Considers cultural and linguistic differences that may impact patient experience and makes appropriate accommodations/recommendations to ensure patient expectations are exceeded.
• Prints and mails directions, maps, fee schedules, doctor’s notes, test results and other Johns Hopkins GI specific information to patients. Sends medical questionnaire forms to patients to obtain missing information.
• Works in coordination with the clinic staff to ensure accuracy, proper organization and advanced preparation of clinic visits.
• Relays information to patients regarding preparation for laboratory tests and examinations.
• Obtains and/or verifies patient's demographic data by phone or in person.
• Confirms appointments by telephone and/or mail. Fills vacancies due to cancellations.
• Assures all patient correspondence is transmitted to correct areas in a timely manner to streamline patient processing.
• Assists patients or family members with the completion of medical insurance forms.
• Informs patients of costs of care being provided, and guides them to appropriate resources for further information or assistance.
• Sends correspondence to referring physicians when patients cancel or now shows, also sends thank you letters for patient referrals.
• Answers phones and provides routine information to callers. Maintains e-mail group for the clinic and distributes correspondence to the appropriate staff member of physician within the clinic.
Administrative Assistant Responsibilities:
• Serves as administrative assistant to Physician.
• Assists with administrative tasks associated with the preparation of research grants (copying, faxing, mailing, obtaining information from other departments/divisions/faculty, etc.).
• Types routine correspondence and reports from dictation or handwritten copy using personal computer.
• Transcribes machine dictated medical reports and other documentation using medical terminology.
• Uses personal computer to prepare manuscripts, grant proposals, statistical reports, tables and charts using knowledge of scientific, medical, literary or other technical terms.
• Maintains calendar, schedules appointments and meeting rooms.
• Opens, sorts and screens mail.
• Files in alphabetical order and locates material from files.
• Assists with making routine travel and accommodation arrangements, and produces an itinerary for each travel event.
• Coordinates the servicing of office equipment.
• Completes various request forms for office supplies and equipment as directed
• Prints and mails/faxes directions, maps and department-specific information to patients.
Customer Service and Teamwork Responsibilities:
• Is courteous and pleasant in person and on the telephone with coworkers, patients, visitors, and supervisors. Utilizes proper telephone etiquette. Warmly greets patients and visitors. Verbally expresses appreciation when ending a conversation with a caller.
• Handles and resolves patient complaints non-defensively and without blame to other employees. Seeks to satisfy a dissatisfied customer.
• Is generous in assisting and supporting others. Participates in covering telephones and assisting other faculty and staff when needed.
Minimum qualifications (mandatory):
High School Diploma. Two years secretarial experience. Additional education may be substituted for years of related experience
Experience in the Hopkins system is strongly. Knowledge of medical insurance coverage.
Special knowledge, skills, and abilities:
On a regular and continuous basis, exercises administrative judgment and assumes responsibility for decisions, consequences and results having an impact on people, costs and/or quality of service within the functional area. Carries out duties and responsibilities with limited supervision. Exchanges non-routine information using tact and persuasion as appropriate requiring good oral and written communication skills
Medical terminology skills. Intermediate computer and proof reading skills. Basic computer skills. Knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Demonstrated ability for self-direction and initiation. Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team. Demonstrated customer service skills.
Technical qualifications or specialized certifications:
Operates personal computer to access email, computerized scheduling and documentation databases, and other basic office support software. • Successfully completes all required EPIC training courses and EPR and other software systems • Completes all required HIPAA and other specified online training courses. • Other duties, for all categories, as assigned.
Johns Hopkins University remains committed to its founding principle, that education for all students should be grounded in exploration and discovery. Hopkins students are challenged not just to learn but also to advance learning itself. Critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, and entrepreneurship are all encouraged and nourished in this unique educational environment. After more than 130... years, Johns Hopkins remains a world leader in both teaching and research. Faculty members and their research colleagues at the university's Applied Physics Laboratory have each year since 1979 won Johns Hopkins more federal research and development funding than any other university. The university has nine academic divisions and campuses throughout the Baltimore-Washington area. The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Whiting School of Engineering, the School of Education and the Carey Business School are based at the Homewood campus in northern Baltimore. The schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing share a campus in east Baltimore with The Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Peabody Institute, a leading professional school of music, is located on Mount Vernon Place in downtown Baltimore. The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies is located in Washington's Dupont Circle area.