Administrative Assistant to the Associate Vice President
University of the Pacific
December 13, 2017
Administrative Assistant to the Associate Vice President
Union Level: Department: President Campus: Stockton Posting Number: 201301217P Full or Part Time: Full Time Number of Months: 12 Work Schedule: Work performed during standard business hours. Overtime may be necessary based on business needs; flexible schedule to accommodate overtime, meetings and other support needs outside of office hours. Position End Date: Open Date: 12/07/2017 Close Date: Open Until Filled: Yes Special Instructions:
Primary Purpose: The position serves as the direct administrative support to the Associate Vice President for Marketing and Communications and provides a variety of advanced level administrative support to the department.
Essential Functions: 1. Serves as a key contact for the Associate Vice Presidents office, interacting with individuals from all organizational levels of the University, in a professional and congenial manner.
2. Provides advanced administrative support in managing the Associate Vice Presidents and staffs schedule, travels, projects, events and other activities. This may include but is not limited to:
Manages the AVPs complex calendar, prioritizes and sets appointments or arranges meetings, and ensures AVP is advised of schedule of appointments, events, travel and activities. Helps anticipate AVPs needs and preps for meetings, events, presentations and other activities.
Arranges and/or coordinates travel for business including itineraries, background information, and other related materials.
Coordinates logistics for meetings/events and other activities which may include catering service, technical support, meeting invitations, guest list, presenters, speakers, meeting venues, transportation.
Prepares agendas, minutes, presentations, meeting materials and other documents as needed for a variety of meetings/events.
3. Manages AVPs correspondence, responds on behalf of AVP as appropriate, prioritizes responses when necessary, drafts initial responses and provides or compiles background materials when requested.
4. Serves as primary point of contact for AVP (and as needed for department members), manages requests for information, responds to inquiries, and determines priority of calls and messages. Keeps AVP informed and up-to date on issues or inquires.
5. Assists AVP in managing committees she/he chairs including Student Media Board, 3-City Integrated Communications Team and other ad hoc committees. This includes scheduling meetings, arranging equipment and catering, taking and distributing minutes, orienting new committee members, ensuring bylaws are followed and other related duties.
6. Collaborates with Cabinet executive/administrative assistants to facilitate meeting scheduling and communication, and to improve inter-office efficiencies.
7. Provides departments administrative tasks including managing the departments e-mailbox and reviewing e-mails and working with AVP to respond or route; distributing daily U.S. mail to AVP and staff; monitoring office equipment, facilities and duplicating services ensuring all are operational and managing repairs when needed; maintaining inventory of department computers and supplies and ordering and tracking supplies; managing and coordinating office moves; notifying staff of personnel absences for the day. Maintains, develops and improves administrative and operational processes.
8. As time and priorities allow, may do some limited back-up proofreading and fact-checking of newsletters, magazine, press releases, brochures, web copy, email copy, reports, presentations and other content for typographical, grammatical and factual errors.
9. Creates reports and presentations for use by the AVP, using PowerPoint and desktop publishing software.
10. Performs a variety of administrative tasks in support of AVP and unit, including but not limited to the following:
Organizes and maintains AVPs and departments files (electronic and hard copy) of correspondence, meeting notes, required university compliance documentation and other materials.
Manages main phones lines and phone coverage including routing calls and/or taking messages, ensures coverage is scheduled throughout the day including during lunch, staff meetings, etc.); greets and escorts guests and visitors (including providing directions and parking assistance); assists with meeting preparation or other duties when needed.
Processes and files AVPs expense reports.
Reconciles and processes ProCard activity and statements accurately and within required timelines.
Manages recruitments coordinating job postings and moving candidates through the recruitment process, scheduling interviews with search committee, administering skills tests, and managing candidates during interview process.
Arranges phones, e-mail, computer, business cards and other requirements for new/transferred hires. Provides administrative onboarding of new/transferred hires to include department processes, timesheets, hours, calendar, expense reports, staff meetings and other department procedures.
Uses Banner to look up student, faculty, staff and alumni information.
11. Manages special projects as assigned (e.g., annual update of the Fast Facts brochure) and/or assists in the coordination and creation of other department projects.
12. Performs miscellaneous duties as assigned or requested.
Two (2) years post High School education.
Three (3) years experience providing senior level administrative support.
Skills/Knowledge and Expertise:
Must exercise good judgment, sensitivity and discretion in carrying out responsibilities.
Must thrive in a fast-paced deadline driven environment.
Customer-service attitude and demeanor.
Demonstrated experience in Microsoft Office including Outlook, Excel, Power Point and Sharepoint.
Ability to create presentations with effective and high-quality layouts, information design and images.
Excellent command of the English language, including grammar and spelling; strong written, verbal and presentation skills.
Ability to accurately, concisely and efficiently relay information and instructions between the AVP and Marketing and Communications staff, Cabinet members, deans and other University personnel, as well as media, vendors and others.
Must possess tact and diplomacy to handle extremely sensitive and/or confidential information.
Excellent communication and interpersonal skills and experience dealing effectively with a wide range of people.
Outstanding customer service skills and desire to assist others; approachable; ability to quickly establish rapport, making people feel comfortable and welcome.
Responds with a sense of urgency, ability to manage multiple deadlines and manage competing priorities in a high-volume environment.
Maintains a positive supportive professional disposition at all times and a strong work ethic.
Proactively anticipates needs, plans and organizes and determines next steps to help manage schedule and communicate with AVP.
Fact-based problem solver.
Demonstrated ability to effectively manage and adapt to change.
Takes initiative and works independently as well as part of a team.
Positive attitude, proven ability to work successfully with diverse populations and demonstrated commitment to promote and enhance diversity and inclusion.
Physical Requirements: The physical demands described here are representative but not definitive of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
Duties require constant sitting and repetitive motion while using computer keyboard and phone; frequent walking, standing and simple grasping; occasional climbing stairs, walking across campus, stooping and reaching; constant communication using both spoken and written means. May be required to lift/carry up to 25 lbs.
Work Environment/Work Week/Travel: Work is performed primarily in a standard office environment. Work performed during standard business hours. Overtime may be necessary based on business needs; flexible schedule to accommodate overtime, meetings and other support needs outside of office hours.
Hiring Range: Min $17.17 per hour to Mid $22.48 per hour, non-exempt
Background Check Statement: Applicants who are selected as final possible candidates must be able to pass a criminal background check
AA/EEO Policy Statement: University of the Pacific is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer dedicated to workforce diversity. In compliance with applicable law and its own policy, Pacific is committed to recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff and does not discriminate in its hiring of faculty and staff, or in the provision of its employment benefits to its faculty and staff on the basis of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, age, genetic information, sex/gender, marital status, military and veteran status, sexual orientation, medical condition, pregnancy, gender identity, gender expression, or mental or physical disability.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
University of the Pacific is a nationally ranked university with a long tradition of dedicated teaching, small class sizes, practical experience and vibrant residential life. The breathtaking main campus in Stockton, California is home to seven schools and colleges, with more than 80 majors and programs of study. Pacific also has the McGeorge School of Law in Sacramento and the Arthur A. Dugoni Sc...hool of Dentistry in San Francisco. Total university enrollment is nearly 7,000, with 3,757 undergraduates in an average class size of 19 and a student/faculty ratio of 14:1. Eighty-seven percent of students come from California, with 35 other states and 25 foreign countries also represented. Explore University of the Pacific www.pacific.edu