The Department of Psychiatry at Bayview Medical Center is seeking a Nurse Practitioner. The Nurse Practitioner (NP) in accordance with established policies evaluates patients in Intensive Treatment Unit.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Perform comprehensive assessments including a complete history (including psychiatric and substance use disorders) and physical examination primarily of patients admitted to the Acute Psychiatric Inpatient Unit (APU); secondarily in other areas of the hospital such as the Psychiatric Emergency Services area of the ED and on Acute Inpatient Medical and Surgical Inpatient Service.
2. Evaluate mental states of patients for the presence of psychiatric symptoms on an ongoing basis and determine/participate in the development of inpatient treatment plan.
3. Participate in daily supportive therapy of patients admitted to the APU.
4. Monitor patients for substance withdrawal syndromes and prescribe medications as needed to ensure patient safety.
5. Coordinate with medical specialists to address comorbid medical conditions as indicated.
6. Lead/co-lead substance abuse therapeutic groups and family meetings.
7. Work with nursing and social work staff to identify services and appropriate aftercare programs.
8. Develop a working knowledge of community based substance abuse programs and services and participate in community outreach to improve patient access to these programs and services.
Master's degree in nursing; Registered Nurse license and Certified as a Nurse Practitioner. Must be licensed as NP in State of Maryland or other state where practicing. Prior experience with patients with psychiatric disorder is preferred but not mandatory. Current CPR certification required. Must maintain current licensure and certification during duration of employment. Completion of the JHH credentialing process is required prior to start date.
Special Knowledge, Skills, or Abilities / Competencies:
Advanced clinical skills in specialty area or equivalent. Advanced interpersonal skills necessary to communicate effectively with all members of the interdisciplinary health care team to enhance collaboration and problem solving.
Ability to incorporate into practice theoretical concepts and advanced clinical skills with patients, families, and interdisciplinary health care team members. Ability to communicate effectively, verbally and in writing, in order to provide information to patients and health care personnel. Ability to function effectively in a fluid, dynamic, and rapidly changing environment. General computer knowledge and capability to use computer.
Sitting, standing and walking for extended period. Reaching by extending hand(s) or arm(s) in any direction. Finger dexterity required to manipulate objects with fingers rather than with whole hand(s) or arm(s). Ability to move standard equipment through a hospital or clinical environment.
Internal Number: 1409-en_US
About Johns Hopkins University
Johns Hopkins University remains committed to its founding principle, that education for all students should be grounded in exploration and discovery. Hopkins students are challenged not just to learn but also to advance learning itself. Critical thinking, problem solving, creativity, and entrepreneurship are all encouraged and nourished in this unique educational environment. After more than 130 years, Johns Hopkins remains a world leader in both teaching and research. Faculty members and their research colleagues at the university's Applied Physics Laboratory have each year since 1979 won Johns Hopkins more federal research and development funding than any other university. The university has nine academic divisions and campuses throughout the Baltimore-Washington area. The Krieger School of Arts and Sciences, the Whiting School of Engineering, the School of Education and the Carey Business School are based at the Homewood campus in northern Baltimore. The schools of Medicine, Public Health, and Nursing share a campus in east Baltimore with The Johns Hopkins Hospital. The Peabody Institute, a leading professional school of music, is located on Mount Vernon Place in downtown Bal...timore. The Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies is located in Washington's Dupont Circle area.