Job Title: Non-Credit Instructor- Language Institute
Department: Language Institute
Location: Columbus Campus
Employment Type: Adjunct/Non-Credit Instructor
Employment Status: Adjunct/Non-Credit Instructor
Bargaining Unit: Non-Bargaining Unit
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Compensation Type: Hourly
Schedule: Day, evening, weekend - depending on schedule availability
Job Description: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities, covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
1. Teach Basic English (as a Second Language) curriculum topics including, but not limited to, grammar, writing skills, pronunciation, vocabulary and academic technology in learning, as directed by coordinator according to assigned schedule.
2. Identify, plan, and implement learning activities appropriate to student needs.
3. Answer questions and provide assistance to students regarding assignments and classroom activities.
4. Assist, as appropriate, in the maintenance of course materials and facilities.
5. Employ appropriate assessment techniques to measure student performance in achieving course goals and objectives.
6. Communicate progress in the course to students in a timely manner.
7. Keep accurate and appropriate records of attendance and scores in accordance with established college and departmental policies and procedures.
8. Assist in the identification of students with academic or other needs, and respond by utilizing an appropriate resource.
9. Work assigned schedule, exhibit regular and predictable attendance, and work as required in order to meet workload demands.
10. Perform other related duties as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of: adult learning theory; delivery of adult instruction; technology in learning Skill in: verbal, non-verbal, and written communication to various audiences; presenting information in a logical manner using appropriate learning aids; defining clear goals and measuring student progress toward said goals; maintaining accurate electronic records Ability to: understand students' needs and concerns; differentiate instruction appropriately; build collaborative relationships with people of culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor's degree with at least one year of experience. State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to work site(s).
Preferred Qualifications: TESOL or TEFL certification and/or significant ESL teaching experience, demonstrated excellence within an adult learning organization.
Columbus State Community College has been meeting the diverse educational needs of the Central Ohio community for more than 50 years. The college is proud to be an important contributor to the growth and progress of the region and to serve as the front door to higher education in Central Ohio. From the first graduating class in 1965 through this year, 50,000 students have earned associate degrees ...in 50-plus technical fields and academic transfer programs. Columbus State also offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs whose coursework fulfills the freshman and sophomore year requirements for bachelor’s degree programs offered by four-year colleges and universities throughout the state. Specific transfer agreements with more than 40 colleges and universities are in place at Columbus State, and new direct-to degree partnership programs are being developed all the time. Columbus State now has two campuses serving Central Ohio educational needs. The Columbus Campus is located on 85 acres in downtown Columbus. The 108-acre, full-service Delaware Campus welcomed its first students in 2010. Additionally, Columbus State offers classes at nine convenient regional learning centers throughout Central Ohio.