Under the direction of the Dean of Student Affairs the Retention Coordinator will be responsible for developing, implementing, managing and accessing a comprehensive student success/retention plan for the University. The Coordinator identifies students at-risk and designs, coordinates and delivers interventions designed to allow the student to succeed and graduate from the University.
Regionally accredited bachelor’s degree and/or equivalent of combined education.
• Regionally accredited Bachelor’s degree in Education or related field. • Experience working in an academic environment. • Ability to train others and monitor their work. • Demonstrated ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team.
• Excellent communication, interpersonal, and customer service skills. • Demonstrated database management skills. • Ability to establish priorities, meet deadlines, and attain growth-oriented goals. • Ability to communicate effectively with students and faculty. • Interpersonal skills to establish and maintain effective working relationships with clients.
• Analyze need for academic tutoring and develop staffing plan for tutors • Coordinate hiring, training, evaluating, scheduling of tutors for SON/COSH. • Develop and maintain programs that promote student retention, graduation and create a formal retention effort across campus; • Promotes student success resources to students, faculty and staff to ensure widespread knowledge of student success programs at CDU. • Keep students informed by producing flyers, monthly student affairs newsletters, monitoring social media communications for students and other marketing materials; • Develop, maintain and communicate a complete list of internal and external student support services for students, faculty and staff to reference; • Analyze CDU student data to identify factors that contribute to student attrition; • Empower students by coordinating group information and skill building workshops related to student success strategies; • Develop an overall student success plan for the university; • Assist the Dean of Student Affairs as needed; • Monitor and track at-risk students and develop early alert notifications; communicate risk with students and faculty and develop intervention plans.
• The ability to perform highly detailed work with sustained attention and care while providing/obtaining information on numerous inquiries is paramount to success in this position.
• The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Sitting and standing for extensive periods of time; walking, stooping, reaching, climbing high and low levels; lifting up to 25 pounds; carrying materials to various locations; finger and hand movement and feeling sufficient for computer and equipment operations; and clear speaking, hearing conversationally, and seeing near and far.
• The ability to perform highly detailed work with sustained attention and care while providing/obtaining information on numerous tasks is paramount to success in this position. • Able to work effectively and concurrently on related tasks; use of sustained concentration and decision-making processes. Constant calculating, reasoning, judgment, resourcefulness, analytical ability, and ingenuity. Able to prioritize work for best outcomes.
• The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. • Occasionally required to work in confined space.
Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
Additional Salary Information: Commensurate with experience.
Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science (CDU) is a premier mission-driven university dedicated to transforming the lives of underserved communities through health professions education, biomedical research and compassionate patient care. Since incorporating in 1966 out of the ashes of the Watts rebellion, we’ve been serving South Los Angeles and beyond by working to eliminate health dis...parities and providing unique, quality education and training opportunities. CDU has produced thousands of diverse health care leaders ready to provide care in today’s workforce with excellence and compassion.
Excellent health and wellness for all persons, peoples and communities, in a world without health disparities.
The University develops a diverse group of health professional leaders who seek social justice, promote wellness, provide care with excellence and compassion, and are uniquely qualified to transform the health of underserved populations through outstanding education, research, and clinical services in the context of community engagement.
Excellence Accountability Compassion Diversity Integrity
Legacy Service Community Innovation Leadership