The PASTURE MANAGEMENT FOR LIVESTOCK OPERATIONS SPECIALIST (Position #103272) is responsible for planning, organizing, developing, implementing, and evaluating educational programs for Maryland communities and citizens. Specifically, this position will provide leadership and delivery of educational programming related to pasture management and hay production for livestock consumption. Program areas may include grass species and variety choices, weed control, environmental management, sustainable grazing, or other topics. The applicant will have access to Maryland Agricultural Experiment Station facilities including dairy, beef and equine facilities with 600 acres of forage crops. The Specialist will facilitate partnerships with university colleagues, local and state agencies, elected officials, communities, landowners, producers, and industry groups in facilitating implementation of best practices in pasture management.
For the detailed Position Summary and to apply online, go to: https://ejobs.umd.edu/postings/55740
• Ph.D. degree in Animal Science, Agronomy, or a related field of study.
• Field research experience in pasture management and forage production that involves applications of conservation practices and advanced agricultural technology systems.
• Demonstrated leadership and management abilities along with evidence of ability to work with colleagues, students, industry and other clientele.
• Knowledge and use of computer technology for educational programming and management.
• Personal transportation and valid driver’s license required. Must be willing to travel throughout the state of Maryland. Out of state travel may also be required.
• Flexible work schedule required for delivering evening and weekend educational programs and activities as determined by clientele availability and need.
• Maryland Public Agency Applicator’s Certification required or can be obtained within 12-months of employment.
• Evidence of excellent teaching & communication skills.
• This position is subject to a Criminal History Record Check. Employment is contingent upon successful completion and clearance of the Criminal History Record Check.
• Extension research or similar work experience (e.g., work with formal or non-formal education and/or farm management experience).
• Experience working with graduate students desirable.
• Preference will be given to individuals with experience working with diverse audiences and all socioeconomic levels.
Additional Salary Information: Salary will be commensurate with experience: Ph.D. Base: $61,650. The University of Maryland offers an extensive benefits package.