Job Description: The Education Organizer is responsible for staffing CCH’s Homeless Education Committee and for bringing together homeless students, homeless parents, principals, and others who care about homeless students to change policies and laws that improve the lives of homeless students.
Job Responsibilities: The Education Organizer’s duties include:
* Staffing and maintaining the Homeless Education Committee.
* Maintaining strong core groups in the CPS grade schools and high schools that CCH is currently organizing in.
* Maintaining strong core groups in local colleges that CCH is currently in.
* Developing leaders in all the above bases.
* Working with the Education Committee to develop and staff strategic campaigns that will result in improvements in the lives of homeless families in Chicago.
* 3 to 5 years’ experience as a community organizer in a direct-action community organization.
* Strong leadership development skills.
* Experience with running strategic issue campaigns.
* Preferred experience with school based organizing.
* Experience as both a trainer and a supervisor are a plus.
CCH is the only non-profit in Illinois solely dedicated to advocating for and with people who experience homelessness. Staffed by community organizers, public policy specialists, and legal aid attorneys, our advocacy is done in partnership with the people who benefit by our work: Homeless students, unaccompanied youth, parents, ex-offenders, and low-wage workers work with CCH staff and community v...olunteers. Together, we advocate to develop affordable housing, preserve a shelter safety net, and protect access to public schools and school services, health care, fair wage jobs, and basic human rights and services. CCH creates opportunities where people who have coped with homelessness are shown that their voice matters.