Virginia Tech is a public land-grant university, committed to teaching and learning, research, and outreach to the Commonwealth of Virginia, the nation, and the world. Building on its motto of Ut Prosim (that I may serve), Virginia Tech is dedicated to InclusiveVT—serving in the spirit of community, diversity, and excellence. We seek candidates who adopt and practice the Principles of Community, which are fundamental to our on-going efforts to increase access and inclusion, and to create a community that nurtures learning and growth for all of its members. Virginia Tech actively seeks a broad spectrum of candidates to join our community in preparing leaders for the world.
The Media Manager provides highest-level engineering, technical and operational support for professional audio and video for education, educational events, as well as internal and external events related to Learning Experience Design/TLOS and University activities and needs.
Manages media engineering projects, camera and technical directing, camera operation and design support for multimedia production and facilities including the integration of video and audio systems with digital networking and live streaming web delivery systems for Learning Experience Design/TLOS. Manages work processes to configure equipment to integrate with existing systems and develops systems when necessary to accomplish the desired outcome for clients.
Manages the media production/distribution facility by independently analyzing, scheduling, and performing facility preventive maintenance, including the management of an inventory of equipment with depreciation schedule as well as inventory of necessary parts to facilitate repair and upgrades. Ensures that needed parts and supplies are identified and procured in a timely manner.
- Bachelor's degree in Electronics, Electrical Engineering, Communications, or equivalent training and experience.
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge in professional engineering and design, management, operation, and maintenance of a wide variety of audio, video, and related multimedia equipment and systems used in educational and event video in studio and on location.
- Demonstrated experience and training in educational media technology including studio and field video and audio recording and production.
- Demonstrated experience in management of facilities, equipment, personnel, and projects related to the development and production of media for education and related events.
- Strong computer skills and experience with various operating systems (Windows and Mac at a minimum).
- Strong communications and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to work well with non-technical staff, faculty, and students under live production conditions.
- Society of Broadcast Engineers or equivalent certification.
- Demonstrated experience in drafting and / or computer aided design software systems.
Employee Category: Administrative and Professional Faculty
Appointment Type: Regular
Tenure Status: Non-Tenure Track
Percent Employment: Full-time
Virginia Tech does not discriminate against employees, students, or applicants on the basis of age, color, disability, gender, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, genetic information, or veteran status; or otherwise discriminate against employees or applicants who inquire about, discuss, or disclose their compensation or the compensation of other employees, or applicants; or any other basis protected by law.
For inquiries regarding non-discrimination policies, contact the executive director for Equity and Access at 540-231-2010 or Virginia Tech, North End Center, Suite 2300 (0318), 300 Turner St. NW, Blacksburg, VA 24061.
Virginia Tech takes a hands-on, engaging approach to education, preparing scholars to be leaders in their fields and communities. As the commonwealth's most comprehensive university and its leading research institution, Virginia Tech offers 240 undergraduate and graduate degree programs to more than 31,000 students and manages a research portfolio of more than $513 million. The university fulfil...ls its land-grant mission of transforming knowledge to practice through technological leadership and by fueling economic growth and job creation locally, regionally, and across Virginia.
Through a combination of its three missions of learning, discovery, and engagement, Virginia Tech continually strives to accomplish the charge of its motto Ut Prosim (That I May Serve).