The Registered Nurse, Call Centerutilizes knowledge of the nursing process to assist callers in informeddecision making regarding health care needs. The Registered Nurse uses data gathering techniques, listening skills,and problem solving. Supported bysoftware incorporating disposition recommendations, educational information andappointment scheduling functions, the steps taken by the nurse are documentedand available to relevant providers. Hours of operation are 7 days/week, 24 hours/day.
1. Utilizes the nursing process: assessment, planning, intervention, and evaluation in all patientencounters.
2. Performs nursing procedures.
3. Assists medical provider with processing of diagnostic results bringingsignificant values to the provider's attention. Have knowledge of tests and procedures and their significance as relatedto patient care.
4. Recognizes the implementation of dosages, interactions, side effects,adverse effects, routes of administration of drugs as they apply to individualpatients. Uses knowledge of medicationsin instructing patients about medication therapy.
5. Triages/screens telephone call related to patient care.
a. Obtains appropriateinformation with attention to detail and accuracy (i.e. using direct symptomrelated questions – keeping patient focused.)
b. Makes nursing assessmentutilizing, theory and judgment, and patient information.
c. Implements appropriate care using nursing assessment, protocols, andstanding orders.
6. Performs delegated medical acts and provides supervision as needed inaccordance with the Nurse Practice Act to the LPNs and unlicensed personnel.
7. Assesses patient status to determine need for treatment or intervention inlife threatening situations. Participates using emergency standing orders if needed, or under thedirect supervision of a medical provider.
8. Establishes working relationships teaching protocols for patienteducation, family counseling and general public information.
9. Takes a leadership role in the facilitation of department functionsincluding mentoring new staff and ensuring policies & procedures arefollowed.
10. Leads and participates insite process and policy improvement teams.
11. Cross train and staff otherdepartments as needed.
12. Assists in the developmentand implementation of policies, protocols, standing orders and qualityassurance standards.
13. Demonstrates strongassessment skills during the telephone interview with clients.
14. Demonstrates the ability to performcomplex telephone interviews following the prescribed format, in a timelymanner.
15. Consistently educatesclients, following self-care advice, displaying sensitivity toward education,ethnicity, and socioeconomic factors.
16. Demonstrates awareness of communityresources available to callers, and facilitates access as appropriate.
17. Demonstrates nursingjudgment in overriding recommended disposition when necessary.
18. Participates in managementof all programs supported by Call Center.
19. Completes necessary follow-upas indicated by recommended disposition, and nursing judgment, to include:
a. Contact Patient CareServices Department
b. Contact Emergency Departmentor Urgent Care
1. Graduate of an accreditedschool of nursing with licensure or eligible for licensure in the State of Wisconsin.
2. Three years of RegisteredNurse experience with particular expertise in medical/surgical, pediatrics ormaternal/child health.
3. Must complete and pass theProficiency Assessment delivered at the conclusion of the onboarding program.
4. Knowledge of or interest inlearning computer data entry and retrieval skills.
5. Strong communication skills.
6. Must function well in anautonomous environment and possess analytical decision making skills.
7. Previous experience intelephone triage or similar function.
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representativeof those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essentialfunctions of this job. Reasonableaccommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to performthe essential functions.
Ability to work multiple shift hours.
Ability to continuously sit for extended periods.
Ability to continuously see fine print and to use the computer for extended periods.
Ability to hear and converse on the phone.
Ability to continuously perform fine motor tasks, such as computer, writing or phone tasks.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your fa...mily and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same