Locatedin Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching,discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals whocome to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a placewhere your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilitieschallenged. It is a place where your diversity â of culture, thinking, learningand leading â is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know theyare part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride intheir work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbiltâs mission is to advancehealth and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, andresearch.
TheVanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital is accepting applications for a Sr. Assessment Specialist for our Psychiatric Assessment Services (PAS). This is a part time position (20 hours per week). As an Assessment Specialist in our psychiatricemergency assessment services department, you will have an opportunity to make adifference in the lives of individuals experiencing a mental health crisis.Your skills, compassion, and willingness to help others will mean thedifference in this role.
JOB SUMMARY: Performs clinical crisis assessments, telephonetriage in the psych access center, referral coordination and dispositionplanning for psychiatric patients of all ages. Able to succinctly documentclinical concerns in the patient record as well as possess mental healthknowledge to refer patients to the appropriate level of care on the behavioralhealth continuum.
Completes Crisis Assessment independently.
Documents accurately in patient chart and has the ability to complete written shift report handover.
Facilitates Admissions / triage with Physician partners as well as support the functions of Assessment Specialist I staff.
Performs crisis Intervention.
Telephone Triage Activities.
Contributes to the organization by actively participating in process improvement initiatives and shared decision making.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
CRISIS INTERVENTION (ADVANCED):- Demonstrates the uppermost levels ofexpertise in applying crisis intervention in challenging and complexsituations. Often takes a lead role in highly pressurized situations when thereis a need to achieve results. Consistently delivers results in a creative andimaginative manner while setting a standard for others. Contributes in thedevelopment of best practices for the organization.
TRAINING (INTERMEDIATE):- Has delivered a program in its entirety.Managed the delivery of a program by a team of instructors, assuring attentionto detail. Demonstrated the ability to deal with adversity and disruptionduring delivery. Established class leadership and credibility. Demonstrated theability to give clear, concise instructions in support of participantactivities.
PATIENT DOCUMENTATION - (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates mastery of patientdocumentation in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficientknowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully deliveringpatient documentation services without requiring support and instruction fromothers. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technicalinstruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level ofperformance of others while on the job.
CONTRACT NEGOTIATING (INTERMEDIATE):- Demonstrates successfulcollaborative negotiation [win/win] - finding out what the other side reallywants, and showing them how to get it while you get what you want to get yourjob done. Capable of building trust and gaining commitment in a pressuresituation in order to achieve results. Able to influence others over whomcontrol or authority does not exist.
Organizational Impact: Executes job responsibilities with the understanding of how output would affect and impact other areas related to own job area/team with occasional guidance.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Analyzes moderately complex problems using technical experience and judgment.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has expanded knowledge gained through experience within a professional area.
Team Interaction: Provides informal guidance and support to team members.
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies oneâs own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENTSERVICES (P2):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employeesâ effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY(P2):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCESEFFECTIVELY (P2):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Our Nursing Philosophy
Webelieve highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to VanderbiltUniversity Medical Centerâs mission of quality in patient care, education andresearch. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helpingpeople, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is a comprehensive health care facility dedicated to patient care, research, and biomedical education. Our reputation for excellence in these areas has made us a major center for patient referrals from throughout the Mid-South. Each year, people throughout Tennessee and the Southeast choose Vanderbilt University Medical Center for their health care because of o...ur leadership in medical science and our dedication to treating patients with dignity and compassion.The mission of Vanderbilt University Medical Center is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.