Position purpose: The Staff Accountant reports to the Controller. The Staff Accountant will be responsible for assisting with the preparation of the monthly financial statements, maintaining the general ledger, performing general bookkeeping tasks and processing payables and payroll. In addition, the Staff Account will assist the Controller with various audits, preparing budgets and grant accounting. The position will perform professional accounting work in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP) and the Centers’ accounting policies and procedures.
Corporate Philosophy: It is the obligation of each employee of Esperanza Health Centers to abide by and promote the values of the health center to ensure that excellent services are delivered with compassion.
To promote healthy lifestyles and improve our patients’ health through the provision of high quality health care and wellness services in the communities of Chicago’s southwest side.
eliminating barriers that restrict access to quality health care.
impacting the community by providing quality integrated primary care and behavioral health services.
building our communities by helping families with prevention and self-care education.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Obtain and maintain a thorough understanding of the financial reporting structure.
2. Maintain the Centers’ general ledger through preparation of monthly journal entries, account reconciliations and provide analysis.
3. Prepare and process weekly bank deposits with corresponding journal entries.
4. Process bi-weekly payroll via Paylocity: verify attendance, hours worked, pay adjustments, deductions and processing of 401k deductions. Prepare payroll journal entries to book payroll to the general ledger.
5. Process payables on a weekly basis to include inputting of invoices into the accounting system.
6. Assist in program budgets, grant and financial analysis including Medicaid & Medicare Cost Reports and Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA) UDS Report.
7. Manage the organization’s grants including the invoice preparation, financial reporting, and assisting program personnel with grant management.
8. Maintain and update patient encounter spreadsheets.
9. Track balances of Continuing Medical Education and Tuition Reimbursement programs for employees
10. Maintain a petty cash fund for minor expenses.
11. Process ad hoc reports as requested by Controller or other members of the management team.
12. Update job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities and reading professional publications.
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting
• 1-3 years of related experience, preferably in primary healthcare or a non-profit environment
• Must be highly proficient in Microsoft Excel & Word as well as having strong computer skills
• Must be able to conduct financial and variance analysis
• Experience with Financial Edge Accounting Software
• Must be well organized and detail oriented
• Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing
• Ability to interact with staff and vendors in a professional manner
Esperanza Health Centers serves an area that is in great need of quality healthcare. Families in Esperanza's service area experience significant economic, educational, and health disparities. More than 53 percent of residents live below twice the poverty level. Large portions of Esperanza's service area have been designated as a Medically Underserved Area and a Health Professional Shortage Area by... the Health Resources and Services Administration.
All of our full-time providers and all of our clinical staff are bilingual and bicultural. Our services and programs are carefully tailored to the needs and culture of the communities we serve.
Esperanza Health Centers is a Health Center Program grantee under 42 U.S.C. 254b, and a deemed Public Health Service employee under 42 U.S.C. 233(g)-(n).
To promote healthy lifestyles & improve our patients’ health through the provision of high quality health care and wellness services in the communities of Chicago’s southwest side.
Esperanza means hope in Spanish. In living up to its name, Esperanza Health Centers envisions healthy communities where resources are woven together, allowing community residents to realize their full potential through optimum health regardless of immigration status, race/ethnicity, income or ability to obtain insurance.
HOPE: eliminating barriers that restrict access to quality health care.
HEALTH: impacting the community by providing quality integrated primary care and behavioral health services.
FAMILY: building our communities by helping families with prevention and self-care education.