Location: Framingham, MA Category: Staff Posted On: Wed Nov 8 2017 Job Description:
Perform varied tasks to assist tradesworkers in the performance of their duties in a variety of trades (e.g., plumbing, electrical, carpentry, etc.); perform routine trade-related maintenance and repair; maintain machinery, equipment and tools; install glass; install and replace floor covering; and perform related work as required.
The basic purpose of this work is to perform a variety of duties to assist in plumbing, electrical, carpentry and other trade work.
Incumbents of positions at this level receive direct supervision from craftsworkers and other employees of higher grade who provide on-the-job training, assign work and review performance through verbal reports and inspection for effectiveness.
Incumbents of positions at this level exercise functional supervision (i.e. over certain but not all work activities, or over some or all work activities on a temporary basis) over 1 - 5 seasonal personnel.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
1. Services and/or assists in servicing, replacing minor plumbing fixtures such as faucets, washers, flushometers, valves, etc.
2. Maintains and makes routine repairs to electrically-powered equipment and appliances such as motors, pumps, lamps, fans, etc. according to instructions from journeyman and equipment service manuals; and performs other electrical work not requiring a licensed electrician such as replacing light bulbs, fuses as needed.
3. Performs preventive maintenance and makes repairs to heating, ventilating, refrigerating and air conditioning equipment according to instructions and equipment service manuals such as replacing belts on motor, changing filters, replacing bearings and cooling coils, etc.; and adjusts heating and/or air conditioning controls to maintain appropriate temperature.
4. Maintains machinery, equipment and tools by cleaning, lubricating, greasing, oiling, etc. to ensure their optimum working order.
5. Assists in the construction of tables, wooden barricades, window screens, etc. and performs other minor carpentry work using hand and power tools such as drills and saws.
6. Installs glass in windows and doors by inserting and fastening pre-cut glass in window sash, etc.
7. Assists in installing and makes routine repairs to floor coverings such as tiles, linoleum and rugs as required.
8. Assists in erecting and/or dismantling scaffolding and/or rigging used to gain access to high places.
9. Performs related duties such as furnishing tools and materials to tradesmen during the course of an job; holding materials or tools in place while journeyman works on them; cleaning work area upon completion; operating or using soldering and/or brazing equipment; erecting and dismantling wall partitions; requisitioning supplies and maintaining records.
Tradesworkers work under exposure to noxious fumes, chemicals and/or high voltage wires; may lift and carry heavy objects; may climb ladders; may stand for prolonged periods of time; may be required to operate a motor vehicle, may work varied shifts.
1. Knowledge of the use and operation of hand held power tools such as drills/ etc.
2. Knowledge of the types and uses of small hand tools such as pliers, chisels, hammers, etc.
3. Knowledge of the methods used in the care and maintenance of small and hand held power tools.
4. Skill in using small hand tools such as pliers, hammers, screwdrivers, wrenches, etc.
5. Skill in using hand held power tools such as drills, etc.
6. Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
7. Ability to establish and maintain harmonious working relationships with others.
8. Ability to deal tactfully with others.
9. Ability to maintain a calm manner in emergency situations.
10. Ability to work in a team setting.
11. Ability to lift and carry heavy objects.
12. Ability to climb ladders and scaffolds.
13. Ability to stand for prolonged periods of time.
14. Physical stamina and endurance.
15. Mechanical aptitude.
16. Manual dexterity.
Massachusetts Class 3 Motor Vehicle Operator's License
Framingham State University is a vibrant comprehensive liberal arts institution located just 20 miles west of Boston.
Framingham State University is committed to Inclusive Excellence through collaborative and sustainable partnerships with faculty, staff, students and the greater community. At FSU, we encourage a supportive, diverse and collaborative environment in which we learn from each oth...er through informed and open communication, institutional practices and community engagement. FSU provides a culturally relevant education that includes a beautiful campus with 53 undergraduate and graduate programs, a highly personalized teaching environment, and unparalleled commitment to excellence in diversity and inclusion.
Framingham State University is honored to be recognized for the second year as a recipient of the INSIGHT into Diversity prestigious 2015 Higher Education Excellence in Diversity (HEED) award. The HEED award is the only national recognition honoring colleges and universities that exhibit outstanding efforts and success in the area of diversity and inclusion throughout their campuses.