University of Maryland Baltimore is currently seeking a Buyer I to join the Department of Strategic Sourcing and Acquisition Services. Under general supervision, the selected candidate performs technical work involving limited discretion in the procurement of goods and services such as negotiating prices, terms, and deliveries, overseeing preparation of procurement documents, and issuing orders.
UMB offers a generous benefits package that starts with 11 vacation days, 14 floating and holidays, 15 sick days; comprehensive health insurance and retirement options; and tuition remission for employees and their dependents at any of the University System of Maryland schools.
1. Has authority to make procurement decisions and commit the University to purchase goods and services up to a dollar amount determined by institutional policy.
2. Prepares invitations for bid, requests for proposal and procurement orders, ensuring accuracy and completeness.
3. Provides guidance and direction to other personnel on work assignments.
4. Obtains information by initiating communications with vendors and clients regarding various activities such as price verification, order status and expediting.
5. Researches available catalog and promotional information for market place analysis. Identifies best sources, pricing and scheduling for goods and services.
6. Responds to inquiries from vendors and clients; resolves problems by providing information, which typically requires research or interpretation of data and knowledge of departmental policies and procedures.
7. Generates and updates manual and automated record keeping systems pertinent to potential suppliers, prices, delivery dates, invoices and general departmental operations.
8. Initiates and prepares procurement reports, forms, and other documentation related to departmental operations.
9. Performs arithmetic calculations for purchase order quantities, price extension and totals.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree EXPERIENCE: No experience* OTHER: Financial Disclosure is required.
*Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
General knowledge of business and industry practices related to procurement; and general knowledge of business english and arithmetic. Working knowledge of the market value and sources of supply for a variety of supplies, materials, and equipment; of competitive bid purchasing principles, methods and procedures. Skill in operating standard office equipment. Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing; to provide guidance to other personnel; to prepare reports reflecting daily operations and project status.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $38,204 - $45,000
If accommodations are needed for a disability, please contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-2606, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore (UMB) is the State's public health, law and human services university devoted to excellence in professional and graduate education, research, patient care, and public service. As a diverse community of outstanding faculty, staff and students, and using state-of-the-art technological support, we educate leaders in health care delivery, biomedical science, globa...l health, social work and the law. We emphasize interdisciplinary education and research in an atmosphere that explicitly values civility, diversity, collaboration, teamwork and accountability. By conducting internationally recognized research to cure disease and to improve the health, social functioning and just treatment of the people we serve, we foster economic development in the City, State, and nation. We are committed to ensuring that the knowledge we generate provides maximum benefit to society and directly enhances our various communities.