Posting Title: High Energy Density Science and Technology (HED S&T) Experimental Physicist
LHire Number: 102844
Job Title/Classification: Science and Engineering. SES.3
We have openings for Experimental Physicists to independently plan, design, and guide the execution of experiments and develop instrumentation in support of NIF and OMEGA laser-matter research. You will work with detectors in the fields of laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, material strength and/or nuclear physics. You will interact with scientific and engineering personnel, support staff, and mid-level management. This position is in the High Energy Density Scientific and Technology Program in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal (NIF & PS) Directorate.
- Plan, design, execute and analyze laser and x-ray driven physics experimental campaigns on High Energy Density (HED) facilities (i.e. NIF and Omega).
- Develop nuclear, x-ray or optical diagnostic detectors and diagnostic techniques.
- Craft analytical models and use them to interpret experimental results.
- Collaborate with an interdisciplinary team in the development of innovative methods to support the NIF and OMEGA projects.
- Author complex scientific reports and verbal briefings that capture and communicate research results.
- Publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific or technical journals, and present results at external conferences, seminars, and/or technical meetings.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Ph.D. in plasma physics, hydrodynamics, shock physics, atomic, nuclear physics, condensed matter or related field, or equivalent combination of education and related experience.
- Significant experience crafting, executing, and analyzing complex experiments in the areas of laser-plasma interactions, hydrodynamics, radiation transport, implosion physics, material strength, or nuclear physics.
- Significant experience developing complex diagnostics, image processing, and data analysis.
- Demonstrated advanced problem-solving and decision-making skills to anticipate, identify, and independently recommend appropriate actions and solutions.
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills needed to effectively collaborate in a team environment, present and explain technical information, document work, prepare and present scientific and high quality research papers and provide advice to management.
- Experience working independently, as well as in a team, with minimal direction in a driven environment.
- Experience with x-ray sources, time-resolved optical and x-ray photon detection techniques, CCDs, imaging and spectroscopy.
- Experience with spectrum and image analysis using numerical processing.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Anticipated Clearance Level: None, L or Q depending on location of assignment. (Position will be cleared to this level). Applicants selected will be subject to a Federal background investigation and must meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
NOTE: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL’s mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying world-class science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.5 billion, employing approximately 6,000 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic.
Significant projects, breakthrough technology... It's all waiting for you at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here, our people develop and utilize the most cutting-edge technology in the country-if not the world. How do we do it? By encouraging and embracing a competition of ideas with respect for individual contributions and a workforce with diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds. So join the ultimate scientific community, and discover your true career potential.