The Office for External Relations (OER) at the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health is committed to securing the financial resources, time, and loyalty of alumni, friends, and philanthropic organizations to promote the School's work of educating new generations of global health leaders and producing powerful ideas to transform the lives of people everywhere.
As a key member of the senior leadership team, reporting to the Vice Dean for External Relations, the Executive Director for Administration will be responsible for working across all OER department groups to ensure that effective and efficient processes, programs, and tools are in place to support the team's fundraising efforts. The Executive Director for Administration directly supervises 5 staff members, and oversees 5 major administrative functional groups within the Development Operations team: (1) Donor Relations; (2) Information Services/Research; (3) Financial Administration; (4) Prospect Research; and (5) Events.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
Donor relations functions include financial reporting, stewardship reporting, and creative donor recognition. The Donor Relations team is also responsible for gift policy and related functions, drafting/editing new gift terms in collaboration with Directors of Development, Strategic Priorities, and Harvard Chan colleagues, initiating fund set-ups, managing and monitoring pledge data and reminders and other gift fund related projects.
- Oversee Donor Relations staff and serve as subject matter expert (SME) on endowment policy, accounting practice, assessment administration, and fund reporting - Oversee the production of donor and volunteer rolls for inclusion in the Annual Report - Serve as a key resource within Harvard Chan, more broadly, for interpreting and advising on University gift policy, reviews gift proposals for compliance with both domestic and international donors/Harvard policy - Develop and review proposal budgets with finance counterparts -- ensuring quality control around financial and academic alignment - Coordinate closely with Harvard Chan Financial Services to provide feedback on financial and/or stewardship reporting to donors
- Supervise Information Services staff and oversee information security, data analytics, policy development and implementation, development and maintenance of prospect and proposal tracking systems to support decision making and for monitoring of development programs - Serve as primary contact for recording and reporting functions with University Alumni Affairs and Development counterparts including issues related to database integration, policy, and business practices - Supervise Prospect Research staff responsible for the identification of new prospects for the School and the creation of quality briefing and bio material for the front-line team, senior leadership, and faculty
- Manage department financial administration staff and oversee general operating expenses, special non-gift receipts, equipment purchases, operating budget, gift proposal budgets, and compliance with School and University fiscal policies - Responsible for human resources administration for the department -- including performance management, salary reviews, talent acquisition, onboarding, professional/career development, retention and terminations for the department -- in a tailored approach to the team's specific needs - Work closely with HR to implement an OER specific Strategic Talent Management Program, whereby industry best practices will be introduced - Oversee fiscal year (FY) annual review cycle and talent reviews
Duties and Responsibilities will be continued in the 'Additional Information' Section.
Duties and Responsibilities continued:
- Supervise Prospect Research staff and guide development of innovative approaches and resources to best support identified fund raising priorities - Contribute to high quality donor and event briefings for academic leadership and faculty - Work in close collaboration with front-line fundraisers to continually identify and qualify new prospects for the School - Support the Department's ongoing efforts in prospect management and maintenance of data integrity including audits of qualification pools and review of prospect portfolios
The Events team works closely with the Individual Giving, Communications, Volunteer Leadership, and Strategic Priorities groups to ensure a highly-organized and coordinated effort.
- Manage Events staff who are responsible for the planning and coordination of Development events, including key activity in major domestic and international fundraising markets - Assists in the handling of all event logistics ranging from planning and running internal meetings with stakeholders, creating invitation lists, and securing venue and catering - Create event timelines and closely partner with colleagues to ensure review lists, production of invitations and additional collateral, and all other details are managed in a timely and accurate manner
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Salary Grade: 060
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
- Bachelor's degree required - 10+ years of related experience required
- Master's Degree preferred - Demonstrated experience and success in managing the operations, including stewardship and systems support, of a development department strongly preferred - Experience in a capital campaign setting preferred - Experience interacting professionally with donors, faculty, and staff, particularly at Harvard Chan and Harvard University, preferred - Superior financial, project and people management experience preferred - Experience in strategic planning, and strong organizational and managerial skills preferred - Excellent interpersonal skills preferred - Outstanding oral and written communications skills preferred - Experience working with a variety of constituents in building and managing new processes preferred - Experience managing change, prioritizing and managing multiple complex activities in a time-sensitive environment, and meeting deadlines with attention to detail and quality preferred
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. T...he University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.