Assistant/Associate Professor, Teaching + Learning in Art + Design
Rhode Island School of Design
October 15, 2017
Providence, Rhode Island
Job Summary Overview:
The Department of Teaching + Learning in Art + Design, Rhode Island School of Design, invites applications for a full-time faculty appointment, at the rank of Assistant or Associate Professor, to commence fall 2018. Rhode Island School of Design (RISD) recognizes diversity and inclusivity as fundamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, scholarship, professional practice, or service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence.
TLAD seeks a colleague to enhance and advance the Department’s record of innovation, someone with administrative and leadership experience, committed to playing an active role in supporting innovative art and design education in urban public schools and arts education initiatives throughout Rhode Island, also our work animating and rethinking K-12 and collegiate art and design education nationally and internationally.
Job Qualifications Required:
- Earned Ph.D or Ed.D in Art Education, or related field
- Evidence of a high level of scholarly practice
- Full-time art teaching experience at elementary or secondary level
- College teaching experience
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and equity in art and design education
- Command of contemporary theoretical and pedagogical practices in art and design teaching and learning, especially for children and youth.
- Ability to teach and advise graduate students at the Masters' level in multiple modalities courses, and supervise the development of thesis work
-Familiarity with state standards governing teacher education program approval and teacher licensure
- Ability to work supportively with students, faculty, staff, clinical educators and alumni in the maintenance and development of a professional learning community
-Confident leadership and communication skills, with proven ability to work collaboratively as part of a team.
Job Qualifications Preferred:
- Multiple years full-time teaching art or design in an urban public school, with appropriate certification
- Evidence of a high level of creative practice
- Experience with practicum and clinical teaching supervision
- Evidence of involvement in innovative program/curriculum design
- Experience in grant writing and/or grant funded programming
- Experience working in a range of learning sites, i.e., college, school, museum, community
- Evidence of ability to work with colleagues across institutional disciplinary boundaries
- Demonstrated experience in the integration of new media technology in the teaching and learning environment
- Active membership in relevant professional association(s)
Employment Type: Full-Time
Department: Teach + Learn in Art + Design
Internal Number: 1690
About Rhode Island School of Design
Rhode Island School of Design (RISD), founded in 1877, is a fine arts and design college located in Providence, Rhode Island. Enrolling about 2000 undergraduates and 400 graduate students from across the United States and 55 other countries, RISD
offers 16 undergraduate majors and 16 graduate majors, and is ranked annually by U.S. News & World Report as one of the top art and design schools in the United States. RISD’s rigorous education encourages creative experimentation and intellectual
risk-taking, challenging students to question their approach to art making through critical thinking. There are over 90,000 works of art in the RISD Museum, which houses a collection of fine and decorative art objects. The first public galleries opened in 1893. The RISD Library is one of the oldest independent art college libraries in the country with more than 150,000 volumes and 380 periodical subscriptions which offer unusual depth and richness in the areas of architecture, art, design, and photography. The RISD campus is contiguous with the campus of Brown University and the two institutions share social, academic, and community resources.
RISD recognizes diversity and inclusivity as f...undamental to its learning community and integral to an art and design education. We welcome candidates whose experience has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. RISD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetics, or any other protected characteristic as established by law.