Department Summary: Bridgewater State University seeks a creative, collaborative, and broadly experienced leader to serve as the founding Assistant Provost for Global Engagement and Senior International Officer (SIO). Reporting to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs, the successful candidate will provide university-wide leadership in advancing global engagement initiatives across all levels of the University and provide academic and administrative leadership to the Minnock Institute for Global Engagement. In addition to putting a strategic and unifying vision for global engagement into practice, the ideal candidate will be grounded in the core values of BSU, including a dedication to student success, a commitment to social justice, and a desire to advance opportunity, innovation, and excellence.
BSU was founded in 1837 by the great educational reformer Horace Mann as one of the first normal schools in the United States. The Edward W. Minnock Institute for Global Engagement, BSU’s hub for international and global programs and activities, has a new campus headquarters, signifying BSU’s intent to highlight and expand global engagement.
Position Summary: The AP/SIO is responsible for coordination and advancement of global institutional partnerships, for alignment of the Institute's mission and activities with the University's Strategic Plan, and for chairing the Global Engagement Steering Committee. The AP/SIO will enhance the scope of BSU's global programming and activities, expand the implementation of high-impact practices related to Global Learning, and ensure student, faculty, and staff access to global learning and engagement opportunities. The recommendations of the ACE Internationalization Lab, the strategic plan for the Division of Academic Affairs, and the overall strategic plan for the university will inform the strategic leadership of the SIO at BSU.
Position Type: Professional Non-Unit
Essential Duties: • Provide strategic leadership for the Minnock Institute for Global Engagement, the Pedro Pires Institute for Cape Verdean Studies, and all other internally and externally-facing global engagement programs at BSU
• Guide the work of the Directors of Study Abroad, International Student and Scholar Services, and English Language Learning, and such other staff as may be assigned by the Provost
• Serve as a member of Provost Council, Chair the Global Engagement Steering Committee, and partner with all area studies programs
• Refine and implement the Comprehensive Strategic Internationalization Plan in collaboration with the Institute’s leadership group, the Global Engagement Steering Committee, University leaders, and other internal and external stakeholders
• Lead the development and implementation of Global Learning-associated high impact practices by: Expanding and energizing global teaching and learning opportunities; Collaborating with academic and administrative units to promote international student success; implementing data-driven and innovative pathways to internationalize curricular and co-curricular learning
• Expand faculty and staff opportunities for global scholarship, research, creative work, and service
• Provide campus-wide leadership in international student success and spearhead assessment of these efforts
• Develop and execute a strategic plan for recruiting, enrolling, and retaining international students
• Identify and develop fund-raising opportunities to enhance and expand the Institute’s global engagement activities, including collaborating with the Office of Grants and Sponsored Projects and University Advancement and developing revenue-generating activities
• Facilitate community and regional outreach to promote awareness of and participation in BSU’s global engagement initiatives
• Work collaboratively across the entire institution, providing leadership in the development of new global programs, including exchange agreements, inbound short-term study tours, graduate certificate programs, undergraduate area studies programs, and others that may arise.
• And other duties as assigned
Required Qualifications: • An earned PhD or equivalent
• At least 7 years of experience in higher education, 3 years of which will be in a leadership role in international education
• Relevant and broad experience in global education and engagement
• A demonstrated record of supporting student success
• A proven track-record of collaboration with internal and external stakeholders and a demonstrated ability to manage budgets and personnel
• Evidence of commitment to the core values of BSU
Preferred Qualifications: • Excellent communication skills
• A proven track record of entrepreneurship and innovation in higher education
• The ability to establish and maintain a positive image for the Institute and University, and create and sustain positive working relationships with internal and external constituencies
• Record of program development, grant activity, and revenue generation
• A high level of energy and a record of achievement and advancement in the field
• Familiarity with international enrollment strategies
• Experience in managing human resources, knowledge of current issues and trends in higher education, international education, and a history of participation in national professional associations
• Demonstrate experience in working in a diverse higher education community
• Have a clear commitment to excellence and innovation, and an appreciation for the role of technology in achieving those standards
• Demonstrate a personal and professional belief in the importance of high quality, accessible public higher education
• A sense of humor, respect for others, and ability to be a team player, as well as developing effective teams
Work Environment: Bridgewater State University complies with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified applicants and employee with disabilities.
Office activities are performed in an environmentally controlled office setting subject to extended periods of sitting, keyboarding and interaction with computer equipment; Occasional bending, reaching, lifting, pushing and pulling up to 5 pounds.
Special Conditions for Eligibility: Please be aware that employment at Bridgewater State University is contingent upon completion of a successful background check.
Salary Range: $110,000-$120,000 Posting Number: S00274P Open Date: 10/04/2017 Close Date: 12/10/2017 Open Until Filled:
Special Instructions to Applicants: Please note the following information is required to complete your application for this position:
*a minimum of one (1) employment history entry.
*a minimum of three (3) professional reference entries.
Bridgewater State University (BSU) is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer which actively seeks to increase the diversity of its workforce. We are dedicated to providing educational, working and living environments that value the diverse backgrounds of all people.