Requisition # 2017-8034 Department Geosciences Category Information Technology Date Posted 2 weeks ago Full-Time / Part-Time Full-Time Application Deadline
The Department of Geosciences and the Princeton Institute for Computational Science & Engineering (PICSciE) have an opening for a Senior Level Linux Administrator/Software to support research computing by the faculty, researchers and students and to join the PICSciE/OIT Research Computing group. The Administrator has a dual reporting relationship to the Department Manager of Geosciences and to the Manager of Research Computing Systems and Storage, Office of Information Technology. The Department of Geosciences computing platform includes a Linux/UNIX based state of the art research facility.
This is a full time, 5 year term position to run from January 2018 to December 2022.
Linux systems administration:
* Installation, maintenance and repair of Linux/UNIX desktop, laptop and server systems.
* Support Linux/UNIX operating system and assist users.
* Assist users with interface to High Performance Computing systems.
* Provide server backup, server administration, and firewall configurations. Diagnose, troubleshoot, install and perform preventative maintenance as requested by faculty, collaborators and graduate students.
* Write and maintain scripts to automate system administration functions.
* Manage small to medium size disk storage systems.
* Manage modest visualization system.
Educate/train users on proper computing techniques on an on-going basis.
* Provide system administration support for department Linux- based research computing including account creation, system monitoring, processing trouble tickets, resetting passwords, and remote access.
* Assist users with integration of Linux platform and research facility - mounting disks from central file server, data transfers, remote login via ssh, and X Windows.
Coordinate equipment lifecycle planning and management (from acquisitions to surplus) of Linux/UNIX equipment.
* Provide guidance to all system users on computing purchases and installation and configuration of all newly acquired Linux and UNIX systems.
Work closely with central OIT and PICSciE organizations to assure consistent standards are maintained for the installation, configuration, and maintenance of systems.
* Collaborate with other Linux/UNIX system administrators allowing for a consistent and cohesive environment.
* Attend appropriate on campus system administration related meetings as recommended by supervisor.
Proficiency in programming in Bourne shell, Perl, and/or Python with porting, tuning, debugging experience.
*Strong experience in Linux and UNIX OS administration, maintenance and support including installing, maintaining, troubleshooting, and using Linux/UNIX standard systems and software applications.
* Experience designing and managing small to medium disk storage systems.
* Red Hat certification RHCSA or RHCE desired.
* Experience with computational clusters including workload management software and parallel libraries such as OpenMPI.
* The desire and ability to keep abreast of new technologies including desktop, laptop, and server hardware; Linux and UNIX operating system and application software; and High Performance Computing related technologies.
Ability to research hardware and software issues in a thorough manner.
* Must be able to lift 50 lbs., twist, bend and work in awkward positions.
* A bachelor's degree or equivalent relevant experience.
* Familiarity with puppet, kickstart, cobbler utilities desireable as well as familiarity with a compiled language such as C or C++.
* Ability to work independently and self-motivate while managing multiple priorities
* Prior experience in an academic environment.
*Strong analytical and problem-solving skills and attention to detail.
* Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, including the ability to build solid working relationships with people of diverse personalities and professional backgrounds, with a strong focus on customer service.
* Flexibility in adjusting work schedule to accommodate priority needs for planned and unplanned downtime and system emergencies.
Princeton University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. EEO IS THE LAW
Standard Weekly Hours
Eligible for Overtime
Essential Services Personnel (see policy for detail)
Princeton University requires all candidates to complete a background check successfully prior to the start of employment. The type and extent of background checks may vary depending on job requirements and/or functions.
Princeton University is a vibrant community of scholarship and learning that stands in the nation's service and in the service of all nations. Chartered in 1746, Princeton is the fourth-oldest college in the United States. Princeton is an independent, coeducational, nondenominational institution that provides undergraduate and graduate instruction in the humanities, social sciences, natural scienc...es and engineering.As a world-renowned research university, Princeton seeks to achieve the highest levels of distinction in the discovery and transmission of knowledge and understanding. At the same time, Princeton is distinctive among research universities in its commitment to undergraduate teaching.Today, more than 1,100 faculty members instruct approximately 5,200 undergraduate students and 2,600 graduate students. The University's generous financial aid program ensures that talented students from all economic backgrounds can afford a Princeton education.