Job Title: Learning Support Specialist- Computer Science
Department: Computer Science
Location: Columbus Campus
Employment Type: Staff
Employment Status: Part-Time Professional
Bargaining Unit: Non-Bargaining Unit
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Compensation Type: Hourly
Schedule: Hours vary based upon needs with possible weekends.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to satisfactorily perform each essential duty listed below. Reasonable accommodations will be made for persons with disabilities, covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act, in accordance with its requirements.
Duties are numbered for convenience, and do not indicate order in terms of importance, frequency that the duty is performed, or the amount of time spent on the duty.
1) Supplements students' understanding and command of the course material for which the students are seeking assistance outside of class. Tutors for introductory courses in discipline area of expertise only.
2) Maintains a thorough knowledge of the course material as well as multiple instructional methodologies to accommodate various student learning styles.
3) Helps students to develop and apply appropriate learning and study skills.
4) Meets with students at appointed time (either in-person or online) and maintains documentation of all tutoring interactions.
5) Generates department reports for tutoring and maintains documentation of department tutoring interactions.
6) Provides course instructor(s) with communication/information that can be used to facilitate student learning of course content.
7) Attends tutor training sessions as required by the Department Chair or Departmental Tutoring Coordinator.
8) Holds special study sessions upon the request of instructors,students, Departmental Tutoring Coordinator, or Department Chair.
9) Learns, becomes proficient at, and implements tutoring software that is used at Columbus State Community College.
10) Performs clerical duties and other office support work as needed and requested.
11) Participates in supplemental instruction (SI) activities upon the request of instructors, Department Chair, or Departmental Tutor Coordinator (depending on the needs of the department).
Usual Physical Demands: The incumbent of this position typically exhibits the physical demands identified in the Functional Job Analysis on file in the College's Human Resources Department and which is periodically reviewed and updated. Physical demands listed in the Functional Job Analysis are not job qualification standards, but are used to help the College assess and determine reasonable accommodations for otherwise qualified individuals covered by the American's with Disabilities Act.
While performing duties of this job, the LSS1 regularly stands, walks and sits and uses hands to handle and control equipment. The LSS1 speaks, writes and uses a computer on a regular basis. The LSS1 occasionally reaches with hands or arms, stoops, kneels, crouches or crawls. The LSS1 occasionally exhibits digital dexterity and eye-hand coordinating when performing tasks. The LSS1 regularly lifts or exerts force on items, with varying weight up to 25 pounds.
Working Conditions: Normal working conditions in which student management and engaging with multiple aspects of a discipline are expected.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of: subject matter s/he will tutor. Skill in: communication and interpersonal (both written and oral). Ability to: engage a variety of tutoring strategies with appropriate sensitivity to students' various learning styles; work with individual students and with small groups of students; work with students from diverse social and academic backgrounds and those who have special learning needs; learn, become proficient at, and implement tutoring software used by the department and/or Columbus State Community College; take appropriate initiative and accept responsibility within the job parameters of an LSS1.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science, Computer Science and Engineering or related area deemed acceptable by Academic Department Chair; experience in secondary or post-secondary education. State Motor Vehicle Operator's License or demonstrable ability to gain access to work site(s).
Preferred Qualifications: At least two years' of tutoring/teaching experience in an educational environment.
Columbus State Community College has been meeting the diverse educational needs of the Central Ohio community for more than 50 years. The college is proud to be an important contributor to the growth and progress of the region and to serve as the front door to higher education in Central Ohio. From the first graduating class in 1965 through this year, 50,000 students have earned associate degrees ...in 50-plus technical fields and academic transfer programs. Columbus State also offers Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degree programs whose coursework fulfills the freshman and sophomore year requirements for bachelor’s degree programs offered by four-year colleges and universities throughout the state. Specific transfer agreements with more than 40 colleges and universities are in place at Columbus State, and new direct-to degree partnership programs are being developed all the time. Columbus State now has two campuses serving Central Ohio educational needs. The Columbus Campus is located on 85 acres in downtown Columbus. The 108-acre, full-service Delaware Campus welcomed its first students in 2010. Additionally, Columbus State offers classes at nine convenient regional learning centers throughout Central Ohio.