The Education Curator and Director of Studio School is a key member of the Oklahoma Contemporary leadership team, contributing to the overall growth of the institution and a range of lifelong learning programs. Specifically, this position will be responsible for implementing the following critical activities:
-- Lead a growing team to test, launch and evaluate multidisciplinary programming.
-- Drive the evolution of existing Oklahoma Contemporary classes and camps into a coherent “school” or “institute” that serves Oklahoma City residents of all ages, as well as the specific needs of regional artists.
-- Collaborate with the Artistic Director and Curator to develop new programming; in particular working to connect with many diverse audiences and ensure that Oklahoma Contemporary is accessible and welcoming to a wide demographic.
-- Develop and manage relationships with community, academic, institutional and artistic partners.
Oklahoma Contemporary values innovation in programming, encourages new ideas and supports creative exploration. This position requires a proven leader with experience in an institutional setting – academic and/or cultural. The ideal candidate is ready to take on significant responsibility at a rapidly growing institution, and is adept at mediating the needs of multiple internal and external stakeholders.
Essential Job Functions
- Develop, implement and evaluate a range of programs that engage adults and youth with visual, performing and literary arts, including but not limited to:
- Classes, camps and individualized study programs - Artist talks, tours, films and other programs that bring Oklahoma Contemporary exhibitions to life - Teen Art Group (TAG) and after school programming for teens - University partnerships that facilitate visits to Oklahoma Contemporary and offer outreach options - Artists in residence - Programming that responds to the needs of specific communities such as veterans and Oklahoma City residents who are differently abled or have Alzheimer’s/dementia - Festivals and special events - Partnership programs, performances and events that activate the Oklahoma Contemporary theater, lobby and grounds
- Create and implement a plan to transform the current variety of Oklahoma Contemporary classes into a formal education center/school/institute.
- Identify and recommend opportunities for graduated learning, as well as individualized courses of study and open studio use; create coherent curriculum that meets the interests of various target audiences - Seek mutually beneficial partnerships with academic institutions that can benefit from Oklahoma Contemporary facilities and, in turn, feed students into Oklahoma Contemporary classes - Investigate and recommend appropriate levels of certification and/or accreditation
- Support the development of interpretive material, relevant website content, visitor publications and curricula for tours/programs
- Recruit, train, supervise and evaluate education personnel, including a variety of instructors
- In conjunction with the Artistic Director, Curator and others, advance and manage relationships with a range of Oklahoma Contemporary partners, including
- Artistic organizations with which Oklahoma Contemporary co-programs - Academic institutions that may provide students and/or revenue to Oklahoma Contemporary - Art clubs and other non-profits that regularly rent space at Oklahoma Contemporary - Regional artists, schools and social service programs
- Regularly evaluate and report on success and impact of programming through:
- Tracking and analysis of participation/enrollment data, revenue and expenses - Feedback from students, faculty, visitors and partners
- Ensure safe and effective policies/procedures and efficient operations are in place for classes and programs
- Edit and approve all promotional materials for programs
- Develop and maintain programming budgets
- Work closely with the Development department to source funding opportunities for new and existing programs and scholarships. Grant-writing experience is particularly helpful.
- Award and manage educational scholarships
- Promote and represent Oklahoma Contemporary at events and conferences
- Other duties as assigned by the Artistic Director
Oklahoma Contemporary ignites creativity. An arts center for learning, creative expression and exchange, our mission is to encourage artistic expression in all its forms through education, exhibition and performance. Unlike a traditional museum, we do not collect art or catalogue the past. We focus on living artists, the art of now and the art of what’s next. We are committed to providing accessib...le, inclusive arts experiences for everyone by hosting free exhibitions, events and performances year-round and by offering low-cost, high-quality arts classes and camps for youth and adults.
Oklahoma Contemporary is in the midst of building a spectacular new arts education and cultural resource on a 4.6-acre site at NW 11th and Broadway. In addition to providing a world-class facility for exhibitions, performance and education and a breathtaking addition to the OKC skyline, the new campus will become a “creative commons,” a place for community to gather, create and experience art. Our Studio School will tell the stories behind the art of now and teach the skills to create what’s next. Incorporating programming from our community partners, Oklahoma Contemporary will be a hub for artistic experiences of all kinds and offer the city an event space like no other.