Chapman University's Art Department seeks applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Photography within Wilkinson College of Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences, beginning August 2018.
Chapman University, located in the heart of Orange County, California, offers traditional undergraduate programs in the arts and sciences and select pre-professional and graduate programs. Ranked in the top tier of western universities by U.S. News and World Report, Chapman has gained national recognition with its commitment to excellence through research and innovative teaching. We welcome candidates whose experience in teaching, research, or community service has prepared them to contribute to our commitment to diversity and excellence. More information about Chapman University is available at http://www.chapman.edu.
The University is dedicated to enhancing diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruitment and employment. More information on diversity and inclusion at Chapman University is available at https://www.chapman.edu/diversity/
Responsibilities: Responsibilities include teaching photographic courses at the undergraduate level, maintaining an active exhibition/studio practice that evidences engagement in contemporary photographic practices and participating in service. The successful applicant will -
* Teach courses that may include: foundation sections of analog and/or digital photography and advanced sections of special topics and/or advanced studio photographic practices.
* Serve as program lead of the photography area which includes the oversight and hiring of part time faculty, faculty lab tech and student workers.
* Demonstrate commitment to building relationships and opportunities for our students outside the classroom, within the contemporary world. Examples include: internships at galleries or with artists, curriculum development, travel courses, mentorship towards graduate school and entry into the professional field.
* Contribute to the growth and expansion of the photography program (philosophically and physically) with an integration of contemporary photographic issues and pedagogy.
* Participate in service to the department, college and University. Expectations with regards to service include: recruitment, student advising, course scheduling, alumni tracking and committee membership.
An active and notable national / international exhibition record.
MA / MFA degree or equivalent.
Experience teaching both analog and digital photography at the University level.
Technical and conceptual expertise in both analog and digital photography with an emphasis on contemporary studio practices, and a commitment to integrating topics of diversity in their teaching and scholarship.
Interest in contributing to the development and expansion of a diverse, interdisciplinary program within the art department.
Ability to teach courses for a studio art BFA program at the foundation level as well as upper division seminars, photographic history, and interdisciplinary topics with the field of contemporary art.
Chapman University is one of California's oldest and most respected private universities, offering distinguished undergraduate and graduate degrees in the context of a liberal arts and sciences university. For more than 150 years, Chapman University has served as a symbol of educational access and excellence in the state of California. Founded as Hesperian College in 1861 in Woodland, California b...y members of the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ), we admitted men and women and people of color from our earliest days. Endowed by the Valencia orange magnate Charles Clarke Chapman, the institution changed its name to Chapman College in 1934, and by 1954 had moved to the former campus of Orange Union High School in Orange, California. The college again extended higher educational access when it began offering classes to military personnel at El Toro Marine Base.In 1965, Chapman took undergraduate education to the high seas when it began running World Campus Afloat, the program that would eventually become Semester at Sea, a tradition that continues at Chapman through our world-wide study abroad programs.Since our founding, Chapman has grown into a highly regarded university that attracts high-achieving undergraduate and graduate students from all over the United States, and more than 60 nations around the world.Our mission statement: To provide personalized education of distinction that leads to inquiring, ethical and productive lives as global citizens.