The Lead Clinician, under the direction of the Psychiatry Division Chief, collaborates with the division of psychiatry leadership team to develop and implement and effective vision for the division. This position has accountability to ensure compliance with regulatory requirements, develop and implement division goals, develop and assist with implementation of an integrated care approach to the provision of psychiatric services, and will lead the creation and implementation of Quality Assurance and Quality Improvement projects. The Lead Clinician will be responsible for the supervision of 15-20 mental health therapists, including child and adult scopes of practice. In addition to the administrative and supervisory responsibilities, the Senior Lead Clinician will spend 0.5 FTE providing direct clinical care to patients as a licensed clinician.
1. Master's degree in a mental health field OR Ph.D/Psy.D
2. Current licensure or the ability to obtain a professional license in the State of Wisconsin.
1. Develop and maintain expertise in state regulations as well as SSM Health Dean Medical Group and psychiatry division policy to help create effective policy, procedures and documentation to enable the effective provision of psychiatric services.
2. Interface with, and serve as a resource to, Dean Medical Group at large and Dean Health Insurance HMO regarding the use and availability of Psychiatric Department treatment alternatives, to coordinate patient treatment with other medical treatment, and to ensure cost-effectiveness and continuity of care.
3. Remain abreast of cost-effective community mental health resources to offer patients, when appropriate; inform other psychiatric staff of these resources.
4. Serve as a department liaison in addressing regulatory concerns with the State of Wisconsin.
a. Develop documentation and policies to present to the State in order to propose solutions to regulatory concerns, or to create variances to try to improve the clinical and operational processes involved in providing patient care in a medical center environment.
b. Consult with the Division Chief and leadership team about regulatory concerns
5. Consult with Dean Medical Group representatives from Legal, Coding, Compliance, and Risk Management to ensure that the development of any new policies is consistent with and supported by SSM Health Dean Medical Group.
6. Consult with appropriate content expert regarding questions and concerns pertaining to changes in coding and billing practices, and recruitment and retention of clinical staff. Educate mental health therapists regarding such changes.
7. Provide supervision to and conduct annual performance evaluations for 15-20 Division of Psychiatry mental health therapists.
8. Serve as a resource to the Division Chief and Vice-Chief regarding legal, regulatory, and clinical issues.
9. Collaborate with Clinical Manager to ensure effective separation and delegation of clinical and administrative tasks or duties.
10. Collaborate with the Psychiatry Leadership Team to develop and implement department initiatives.
11. Serve as change agent for ongoing department changes in the areas of technology, regulatory changes, and clinical care projects.
12. Provide leadership in the selection, creation, and implementation of Continuing Quality Improvement projects.
13. Lead the department's efforts in moving toward "evidence based" model of care in which patient outcomes are measured and used to improve care.
14. Assess adequacy of access to and scope of clinical services, and assist with development of provider resource plans for the right sizing and reallocation of therapists.
15. Address interdisciplinary questions and concerns that arise between physicians and mental health therapists.
16. Co-facilitate quarterly provider meetings with Division Chief and co-facilitate monthly all-site business meetings with Clinical Manager.
17. Ensure consistent application of clinical and operational policy and procedures across all four sites.
18. Maintain clinical contact hours equal to .50 FTE.
19. Handle high touch referrals for psychiatric services of Dean Medical Group employees and referrals made by Dean physicians for their patients and families within or outside the Dean system; coordinate the special handling of any records pertaining to these referrals, and report back to referring sources regarding the dispositions arranged.
20. Work closely with Psychiatry division physicians, nurses, and clinicians to provide timely service and to coordinate any specialized services indicated (i.e. medication evaluation, psychological testing) to prevent unnecessary hospitalization of patients.
21. Uses knowledge about cost-effective services in the Psychiatry division and community to:
a. utilize resources such as partial hospitalization and crisis management services when appropriate
b. coordinate the utilization of these resources to provide support adequate to treat patients in outpatient manner when possible and to direct patients to most cost-effective outpatient resources.
22. Is knowledgeable about, and utilizes emergency detention procedures; Consults to other Dean staff regarding emergency detention procedures.
23. Participate in the selection and/or development of patient education materials and services for emergency services.
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your fa...mily and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same