Position Status: Full-time Faculty, 1.0 FTE, Exempt
Starting Salary Range: Hiring Salary Range: $51,897 to $55,596 per year (Step 3) (Full Salary Range for 2016/17 is $51,897 to $89,991 per year) **2017/2018 salary range subject to negotiations
Job Close Date: For best consideration, apply by October 5, 2017
This is a recruitment for a Counselor position at the Cascade Campus.
A Counselor at Portland Community College provides personal, career, academic and crisis counseling and may also teach college success courses. Our counselors fill a critical role for students providing support and guidance. If you would like to be a part of PCC's rich history of opening doors of opportunity and access to higher education for students, consider applying for a job with us. Portland Community College (PCC) is an award-winning, comprehensive multi-campus college located in Portland, Oregon and is fully accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities.
Portland Community College achieves educational excellence by being accountable and committed to achieving diversity. Through leadership, staff, student body, educational programs and business opportunities that serve the community, it acts as a model for others to follow.
PCC offers a comprehensive benefits package designed to provide employees and their families, including domestic partners, with access to a broad range of benefit options; including Health, Dental and Vision options, Group Life, Auto and Home Insurance, Retirement and tax deferred 403B plans.
- 1 day of sick leave for every 18 days worked (~10 days/year)
- 21 hours of additional personal leave per year
- 4 paid holidays
Additionally, PCC provides a tuition waver for yourself, domestic partner, and children under 24 years of age; plus tuition reimbursement for yourself at other accredited institutions.
For a complete list of PCC benefits, please visit http://www.pcc.edu/hr.benefits
PCC Counselor Responsibilities/Duties:
- Be responsible for counseling and guiding any assigned or requesting students and special program students in meeting their respective educational, personal, social and vocational goals. Provide career counseling, educational and mental health support as well as crisis counseling using judgment consistent with standards of the appropriate professional association, licensing board, and state and federal guidelines, and based upon adequate knowledge of counseling practices, methods, techniques, interpersonal relationships and community resources. This may include providing registration, advising and guidance assistance to students.
- Instruct students in College Success and Career Guidance (CG), using approved course outcome guides developed by college-wide subject area Faculty; assess student performance in these courses.
- Attend and participate in college-wide, campus/center division, department, and program meetings and activities. Provide consultative support services to College staff and professional assistance to students.
- Serve on Subject Area Curriculum Committees and/or such other College committees as may be assigned.
- Assist in the referral of students to community and campus services.
- Provide information and assistance on College policies and processes.
- Compile and/or research data as may be assigned.
- Provide services to students in a manner which does not discriminate as to race, ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity or marital status.
- Remain current in the field through a variety of professional development activities.
- Comply with published College Policies and Procedures.
- Perform other related duties as provided in Faculty Agreement.
- Administer and/or interpret appropriate assessments that are made available by the counseling department.
- Assist Management in revising, updating and evaluating career exploration and testing programs.
In the online application's Education/Employment History sections, include jobs, duties, and dates that support all of the following qualifications. The information on the resume/cover letter will not substitute for the completed application.
Education: Master's degree in Counseling & Guidance, Counseling Psychology, Psychology, Educational Psychology, Social Work, or related area required. Degree must be from an accredited institution.
Experience: Two years of full-time equivalent experience providing academic, personal and career development counseling. Internship experience may be counted.
- Knowledge, Experience, or training in providing counseling using a multi-cultural and/or social justice approach that includes working with marginalized populations such as communities of color, queer and/or trans, persons experiencing disabilities, formerly incarcerated, etc.
- Experience and/or training providing crisis intervention and risk assessment including hospitalizations, assessment of suicidality, homicidality, PTSD and other psychological trauma.
- Demonstrated ability to develop, present, and facilitate seminars, workshops and courses for students on a variety of psychoeducation topics.
- Licensed or currently seeking licensure as a Counselor, Clinical Social Worker, Marriage & Family Therapist, or Psychologist.
When you apply, Please be prepared to attach a document with your responses to the following Required Questions:
1. Please describe your knowledge and experience in providing counseling using a multi-cultural or social justice approach that includes marginalized populations (i.e communities of color, queer and trans, persons experiencing disabilities, formerly incarcerated, etc.).
2. Please describe your knowledge and experience in providing crisis intervention and risk assessment, including hospitalizations, suicideology, homicidality, PTSD or other psychological trauma.
3. Are you currently licensed or seeking licensure as a counselor, clinical social worker, marriage and family therapist or psychologist?
Additional Posting Information:
To apply for this position you must:
1) Complete the online application
Be sure to indicate clearly how you meet the minimum and preferred qualifications in the employment history to ensure this experience is taken into consideration.
2) Attach* a Cover Letter
In 1-2 pages, state specifically how you meet each of the minimum and preferred qualifications.
3) Attach* Current Resume/Vita
4) Attach* Unofficial Transcripts for each of your degrees (Includes current PCC employees).
Transcripts need to include the Title of the degree earned and the Date that the degree was conferred and the Name of the Institution. Word/PDF formats only.
5) Response to the Required Questions below.
* When you apply for the position, you will be given an opportunity to attach the above documents. They may be attached in either "Microsoft Word" or ".pdf" formats.
Note to Applicants:
- All transcripts from institutions outside of the U.S. are required to include an evaluation by a U.S. credential evaluation agency (copy and paste the link http://www.pcc.edu/hr/employment/faculty-information.html into another browser window for specific instructions).
- Applicants Anticipating Degree Completion by the start date of the position must supply a letter from his/her university stating the degree title and that the degree will be granted by that date.
Application Review Process:
1) Once the "deadline or best consideration date" has passed, an initial screening will be conducted.
2) Upon hire the selected candidate will be required to supply OFFICIAL copies of transcripts for all degrees earned.
3) Applicants selected for hire will be required to pass a criminal background check as a condition of employment.
- Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.
- As an Equal Employment Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer, all qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability or veteran status.
Documents that must be associated with this posting:
Responses to Required Questions
Documents which can be associated with this posting:
Full Time/Part Time: Full Time
How to Apply
For complete job description and application instructions, visit: http://apptrkr.com/1091831
As an Affirmative Action, Equal Employment Opportunity institution, PCC is actively seeking qualified minorities, women, disabled veterans, veterans and individuals with disabilities to enhance its work force and to reflect the diversity of its student body. Applicants with disabilities may request accommodation to complete the application and selection process. Please notify Human Resources at least three (3) working days prior to the date of need.