Salary and benefits are competitive. Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
As a UW employee, you will enjoy generous benefits and work/life programs. For a complete description of our benefits for this position, please visit our website, click here.
Priority given to applications received by October 13, 2017.
The University of Washington Tacoma is a growing, urban-serving university that is deeply invested in its local communities. As one of three campuses of a world-class university, UW Tacoma is dedicated to interdisciplinary and innovative teaching and scholarship and to engaging the community in mutually beneficial partnerships. UW Tacoma's commitment to diversity is central to an environment where students, staff, faculty and South Sound residents find abundant opportunities for intellectual, personal and professional growth.
UW Tacoma has an outstanding opportunity for an Administrative Specialist.
The Administrative Specialist ensures effective operations of the Office of the Vice Chancellor for Finance and Administration by providing responsive and efficient executive-level programmatic, operational, and administrative support in a confidential, professional manner. This position acts as a campus community liaison and has responsibility for project management, research, data collection and assessment.
Operations and Project Management
- Act as liaison between the VCFA and campus and community constituents; screen in-person inquiries and use personal initiative and discretion to respond as appropriate.
- Represent the VCFA's interests and priorities by directly assisting the VCFA and by guiding administrative decision-making within Finance & Administration in ways that are consistent with University and UW Tacoma policies and procedures.
-Act independently in making decisions and carrying out actions using initiative and knowledge of the campus and University to further the goals, interests and priorities of the VCFA.
- Complete special assignments and provide critical communication to support the VCFA's responsibility to meet campus goals and complete initiatives.
-Manage and assist with the planning of project activities, e.g. surveys, focus groups, public presentations, meetings. Develop and maintain project management tools as needed, including timelines and work flow documents.
-Assist with the collection and reporting of data and planning of systems change initiatives.
- Monitor action plans, maintain files and memoranda; notify VCFA of impending deadlines.
-Act as back up Time and Absence Approver in Workday for VCFA's Direct Reports.
- Carry out special project assignments. Research, data collection and assessment, and preparation of background information and materials related to the VCFA's professional commitments.
- Ensure that priorities and obligations are met through vigilant oversight of demanding calendars and schedules including meetings, financial briefings, strategic planning, travel, etc.
- Maintain the calendar for VCFA and other leadership in the Office of Finance & Administration and establish priorities while exercising judgment as to appropriate scheduling.
- Meet regularly with the VCFA to plan and coordinate activities/events. Apprise the VCFA of priorities and deadlines; formulate recommendations and help problem-solve.
- Act as a resource to the VCFA, keeping him apprised on ongoing projects.
- Independently develop presentation materials, including research and summary of materials, using appropriate software to create effective documents and presentations.
- Develop meeting agendas; independently coordinate schedules of participants and manage the dissemination of materials.
- Attend various standing and periodic executive meetings to gather and disseminate information and data.
- Manage assignments and projects with corresponding timelines and deadlines which arise from leadership meetings and discussions.
- Screen and prioritize mail and other incoming documents acting in a sensitive, timely, accurate and confidential manner with regard to materials and calendar of the VCFA.
- Format, compose, edit and prepare correspondence, notifications and sensitive and confidential materials.
- Update and maintain the Office of the VCFA website as needed and generate ideas for improvement.
-Responsible for e-procurement and budget reconciliation for the Office of the VCFA.
-Perform expense reporting for the Office of the VCA including but not limited to VCFA business travel.
-Work with Fiscal Support Services to procure business travel arrangements for VCFA.
Bachelor's degree and at least four years of executive-level administrative or office management experience required, preferably within a higher education environment.
Demonstrated ability to manage daily administration of complex business processes and projects.
Demonstrated experience completing routine business transactions and activities.
Demonstrated experience in process improvement, and operations and project management.
Strong analytical skills to swiftly evaluate incoming information and materials for prioritization and management.
Ability to work independently with a high degree of reliability and productivity while efficiently handling multiple, rapidly changing project priorities and job-related tasks.
Demonstrated skill in working with complex written documents and materials, including editorial oversight, quality assurance, and dissemination.
Ability to quickly understand strategic priorities and make independent decisions.
Excellent written communication skills and ability to capture strategic discussions clearly, concisely and coherently; exceptional interpersonal and team communication skills to succeed in a highly collaborative work environment and effectively address complex and sensitive administrative issues. Proven ability to handle executive-level confidential information with a high degree of tact, discretion and diplomacy. Experience providing complex committee support. Demonstrated high degree of accuracy and attention to detail to meet strict standards and time pressured assignments. Demonstrated ability to work with a diverse group of individuals in dynamic circumstances.
Equivalent education/experience will substitute for all minimum qualifications except when there are legal requirements, such as a license/certification/registration.
Experience working in a higher education institution or organization.
Experience with University of Washington policies and procedures.
Experience with budget management.
Experience in event planning & execution.
CONDITION OF EMPLOYMENT:
Appointment to this position is contingent upon obtaining satisfactory results from a criminal background check
Application Process: The application process for UW positions may include completion of a variety of online assessments to obtain additional information that will be used in the evaluation process. These assessments may include Work Authorization, Criminal Conviction History, Cover Letter and/or others. Any assessments that you need to complete will appear on your screen as soon as you select Apply to this position. Once you begin an assessment, it must be completed at that time; if you do not complete the assessment you will be prompted to do so the next time you access your My Jobs page. If you select to take it later, it will appear on your "My Jobs" page to take when you are ready. Please note that your application will not be reviewed, and you will not be considered for this position until all required assessments have been completed.
Founded in 1861, the University of Washington is one of the oldest public institutions in the west coast and one of the preeminent research universities in the world. The University of Washington is a multi-campus university comprised of three different campuses: Seattle, Tacoma, and Bothell. The Seattle campus is made up of sixteen schools and colleges that serve students ranging from an undergra...duate level to a doctoral level. The university is home to world-class libraries, arts, music, drama, and sports, as well as the highest quality medical care in Washington State and a world-class academic medical center. The teaching and research of the University’s many professional schools provide undergraduate and graduate students the education necessary toward achieving an excellence that will serve the state, the region, and the nation. As part of a large and diverse community, the University of Washington serves more students than any other institution in the Northwest.