The University Of Detroit Mercy School Of Dentistry seeks applicants for the position of Coordinator of Diversity & Inclusion. This position is responsible for management and planning of pipeline programs aimed at increasing the interest of middle school /high school /college students in careers in dentistry, and enhancing enrollment of prospective dental students into the University of Detroit Mercy School of Dentistry. This role is designed to provide oversight to meet the goals of diversity, equity, and inclusion within the School of Dentistry.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
(1) Coordinate existing K-12 pipeline programs (Lessons in a Lunchbox, Urban Impressions, Dental Imprint, SNDA Impressions Day and WSU C2 Pipeline Dentistry Track).
(2) Develop comprehensive K-16 pipeline and oral health initiatives in conjunction with community partners, including Metro Detroit schools, parents, Delta Dental, Michigan Department of Education, and Wayne State University.
(3) Manage budget, logistics and coordination of the 5-week Dental Summer Enrichment Program. Collaborate with academic departments, Office of Admissions, and Student Services & Enrollment Management to develop and coordinate all aspects of the program.
(4) Maintain ongoing program assessment and evaluation of all pipeline and recruitment programs in line with outlined objectives and institutional expectations for enrollment.
(5) Collaborate with external stakeholders (Alumni Board, alumni groups, and community partners) to address issues of underrepresented minorities and promote diversity and inclusion in the field of dentistry.
(6) Engage with the Detroit Mercy Dental academic community to serve on University committees, participate in co-programming initiatives, and collaborate on collective University initiatives as appropriate. Participate as a co-leader for the Diversity & Inclusion Student Advisory Board.
(7) Participate in campus climate assessment and evaluation efforts in collaboration with the Office of Student Services & Enrollment Management.
(8) Work with internal departments, community leaders, local/state/national foundations, and governmental entities to identify and develop funding sources for scholarships and grants for targeted underrepresented minority dental and dental hygiene students.
(9) Work on projects as assigned by the Assistant Dean for Student Services & Enrollment Management & Director of Diversity and Inclusion
All other duties as assigned.
A Bachelor degree in education, health professions, or other related fields.
Master’s degree or master’s degree in progress in education, health professions, or other related fields, preferred.
Advanced degree in education, health professions (medicine, dentistry, pharmacy), or other relevant field considered as well.
Two to five years of relevant work experience.
Previous experience with K-12 and/or higher education pipeline or outreach programs. Background with working with the Detroit Public Schools Community District (DPSCD) and/or Detroit Metro community is a plus.
Familiarity with educational, career, healthcare, and other personal barriers for URM or disadvantaged K-12 and college students; Familiarity with the field of dentistry is a plus.
Successful grant writing experience and/or prior record for obtaining funding for education and outreach programs is a plus.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Excellent oral and written communication skills, a collaborative communication style, and the proven ability to work with sensitive and confidential information.
Excellent administrative skills, including budget management, personnel management, and supervision of teams.
Excellent relationships and partnerships with campus stakeholders both internally and externally of the academic environment.
Strong organizational, project management, communication, and interpersonal skills
Physical Requirements: Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping. Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Work Environment: Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Salary/Pay Information: Commensurate with Experience
Anticipated Schedule: Monday – Friday, 8:30am to 5:00pm
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University's urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.
The University of Detroit Mercy has one goal - to help our students realize their dreams and ambitions. We fulfill that goal by offering challenging academic programs taught by talented, committed professors and supplemented by hands-on research, co-op, and internship opportunities.