Research Assistant 1 (Clinical Research Assistant)
Work Unit Description
The Wong Lab's research program has a dual focus, first, on understanding regulatory mechanisms for proliferation of stem cells, and second on investigating novel mechanisms for how tumor cells gain diversity. Its stem cell group focuses on understanding the molecular mechanisms underlying regulation of active cycling and quiescent stem cells in the context of intestinal development, tissue regeneration and disease.
The cancer group focuses on understanding the exciting discovery that macrophages fusing with tumor cells results in generating cell fusion hybrids that retain properties of both parent cells.
- Assist research experiments relating to the Cell Fusion project as assigned by Dr. Jerry Jaboin or Dr. Melissa Wong. Research studies will include a variety of technical approaches including, but not limited to: cell culture, live-cell imaging, FACS and characterization of cell phenotypes.
- Assist with sample collection and processing and coordinate with clinical staff to facilitate identification and collection of samples.
- Perform data analyses and entry and maintain data files on research projects utilizing various platforms (Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Access, RedCap, caTissue, ClinPortal, and others).
- When necessary, assist research staff with consenting patients onto IRB approved protocol and ensure protocol compliance.
- Assist with mouse husbandry and experimentation.
- Ensures laboratory conditions and equipment are properly cleaned and maintained in accordance with established procedures and conduct general lab maintenance, including preparation of buffers and stocks, cleaning and organizing dishware, and racking and autoclaving tips/tubes.
- Ensures laboratory compliance with established protocols such as: 1) Institutional, Environmental Health and Safety, 2) Human Studies, and 3) RecombinantDNA and Hazardous Research Materials protocols.
Bachelor's Degree, or Associate's degree and 2 years of relevant experience, or 4 years of relevant experience
Proficient with computers running Windows applications
Bachelor's Degree in Biology
A minimum of 2 years of basic science research experience
Lab animal handling experience
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or email@example.com.
How To Apply
Apply here online. Please be sure to upload a cover letter and Resume or CV.
As the state's only health and research university, OHSU brings together patient care, research, education of the next generation of health care providers and scientists and community service to improve the health and well-being of all Oregonians.The university is a conduit for learning for more than 2,800 students, providing training to interns, residents and fellows in postgraduate medical and r...esearch. It is the only place in Oregon that grants doctoral degrees in medicine, dentistry and nursing. OHSU cares for more than 251,000 patients each year from around the region and takes a leadership role in contributing to solutions involving the health of the state and the nation, such as health care access and transparency, ethics and workforce shortage. Beyond providing critical health care services, quality education and cutting-edge research, OHSU also is a key economic and social force in the Northwest. With an annual operating budget of $2.06 billion and more than 14,000 employees, OHSU is Portland?s largest employer. Its size contributes to its ability to provide many services and community support activities not found anywhere else in Oregon. For more information visit http://www.ohsu.edu/xd/about/index.cfm