The Phlebotomist, Float is responsible for staffing the Laboratory reception desk, blood drawing, electrocardiograms, specimen processing, urine toxicology collection, and processing of laboratory reports at a variety of locations, helping to cover staffing shortages. The duties of this position may vary depending on the laboratory division of the Medical Center.
1. In a professional manner, provides care to patients presenting at the laboratory.
2. Maintains proficiency with laboratory and medical center computer system as demonstrated by appropriately entering, accessing and executing lab orders.
3. Performs venipuncture and capillary collection as appropriate on adult and pediatric patients.
4. Instructs and prepares patients for special tests.
5. Performs and processes EKG's.
6. Collects and process urine drug screens according to written procedure.
7. Ensures the reception area, blood draw stations, lab and EKG rooms are clean and stocked.
8. Processes and handles specimens properly according to department or reference laboratory procedures.
9. Collects specimens from physician's offices in the clinic; processes the paperwork and distributes specimens and slips to designated areas.
10. Loads and unloads courier buckets, distributing contents to appropriate areas.
11. Logs in the process laboratory reports from reference laboratories.
12. Assists in training new employees.
13. Utilizes free time, constructively. Keep current on departmental policies/procedures and other communications.
14. Participates in departmental meetings and pursues continuing education programs, seminars and workshops.
15. May be assigned to work at other sites of Dean Medical Group to assure adequate coverage.
16. Performs any additional tasks as specified by the Coordinator, Section Leader, Supervisor or Director of Laboratory Services.
17. Practices Universal Precautions.
1. High school graduate or equivalent with one year of previous medical experience which must include some phlebotomy experience or shown proficiency in completing the Limited Phlebotomist Qualification Guidelines OR a high graduate or equivalent and graduate from a Medical Assistant or Phlebotomy program.
2. Excellent oral communication skills.
3. Ability to work with a variety of people.
4. Ability to travel to other locations as needed.
1. Personal computer skills or previous laboratory computer experience
2. ASCP certification
Essential Physical Functions:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
1. Ability to sit or stand for extended periods.
2. Ability to hear and converse on the phone and in person.
3. Ability to see fine print and to use the computer.
4. Ability to perform fine motor tasks, such as when performing a lab draw on a patient, operating lab equipment, writing, computer or phone tasks.
5. Ability to bend/twist while performing various tasks
6. Ability to safely lift up to 20 pounds. Direct patient handling tasks periodically occur.
7. Ability to work with and to wear appropriate Personal Protective Equipment when working with bloodborne pathogens or other chemicals.
8. Ability to wear a respirator.
9. Ability to safely operate a personal motor vehicle on a daily basis and comply with the Company's Vehicle Safety Program.
About SSM Health Dean Clinic-
Based in Madison, Wis., Dean Clinic consists of a network of more than 60 clinics in south-central Wisconsin. Our more than 500 physicians provide primary, specialty and tertiary care in the clinics as well as eye care through our Davis Duehr Dean locations. Dean Clinic also offers urgent care services and operates outpatient surgery centers. Dean Clinic joined SSM Health in 2013.
You’ve known us as many names throughout St. Louis, and now, we’re bringing our hospitals, doctors, home care and other services together under one name – SSM Health. With seven hospitals, 350+ physicians, more than 40 physician locations and 12,000 employees, we are part of something bigger and better. We’re connected to a wealth of resources, expertise and advance technology to help you, your fa...mily and our community live long, healthy lives.
We’ve grown and changed a lot over our 143-year history. Our name may be changing but our mission remains the same