SUMMARY: Supports the University Donor Relations (UDR) department. UDR provides customized and comprehensive stewardship and engagement for the University's most generous donors. The staff assistant's main responsibilities include data entry, database management and report generation, basic research, complex projects and large mailings, periodic writing projects, such as donor biographies and correspondence, and day-to-day administrative tasks. This position requires keen attention to detail, meticulous organization, ability to multi-task, and willingness to take initiative. The position requires the ability to work independently as well as part of a team to complete major projects, and the ability to manage competing timelines and requests. Expertise in Word is required, as is an ability to learn new systems and programs, such as Excel, FileMaker Pro, and Advance. The staff assistant will have access to confidential information pertaining to donors, alumni, and students and must have a strong sense of good judgment, discretion, and diplomacy. This person must have excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Provides daily administrative support to a team of writers and stewardship officers. Completes additional tasks and projects as assigned by team leadership. 2. Assists with workflow for all donor relations activities within UDR, including regular mailings and extensive data entry for the team.
3. Facilitates and supports all administrative needs for the department, including, but not limited to, ordering supplies, maintaining printers, sending faxes, creating and uploading PDFs, collecting and distributing mail, and maintaining orderly files.
4. Designs, organizes, and implements administrative systems and procedures and performs all necessary support duties. Operates a networked computer and is responsible for the maintenance of the department's data needs. Must have database experience and will be required to complete training for the internal database system. Must attend all relevant training sessions and keep current with new technologies.
5. Serves as the administrative liaison and contact with constituents of UDR, including donors, faculty, and Harvard University administrators. Assists with special events as needed.
6. May be called upon to draft, format, proofread, edit, fact-check, distribute, and track correspondence produced by department personnel. May conduct research for narrative reports to donors and draft short donor biographies for internal use.
7. Schedules meetings and coordinates the use of facilities and resources for meetings and conferences. Prepares meeting materials and transcribes and distributes meeting minutes for quarterly meetings of the University Donor Relations Committee.
8. Reads, tracks, and distributes notifications regarding constituents featured in articles in various Harvard publications. Maintains active Google and other alerts on key donors and facilitates forwarding that information to colleagues for stewardship purposes.
9. Manages all credit card, universal expense report, and travel reimbursement forms for the department.
10. The above covers the most significant responsibilities of the position. It does not, however, exclude other duties in conformity with the level of the position.
Please include a cover letter with your application.
Skills testing may be a component of the interview process for this position.
The department of Alumni Affairs and Development at Harvard University is committed to diversity. We welcome applicants who bring varied experience, thought, and practice to the department's mission to maintain and enhance an engaged community of alumni and friends worldwide and to lead the University's fundraising efforts.
Harvard University Benefits Package Vacation/Sick/Personal/Holidays: Harvard offers 3 (union roles) - 4 (exempt) weeks paid vacation, a paid holiday break between Christmas and New Year's Day, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days each year. Medical/Dental/Vision Benefit: Harvard offers a variety of excellent medical, dental, and vision plans which all begin on the first day of employment. Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service. Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted study options through participating Harvard Graduate Schools. Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as parking options to assist employees in their daily commute to campus. Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation, and complimentary health services. There are also fee-based athletic facility memberships available at various locations around the university for employees.
Salary Grade: 053
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
Minimum of one year of related experience. Solid MS Office Software (Word, Excel, etc.)experience with the capability to master new software applications and technologies in database management. Excellent word processing and accurate keyboarding skills required
College degree from an accredited institution strongly preferred. Must be focused, motivated to learn, and flexible in response to shifting priorities. Demonstrated ability to work under pressure, understand and follow policies and procedures, and accommodate changing priorities. Proven ability to work independently as well as collaboratively on a team. The position requires good judgment, rigorous attention to detail, and the ability to handle sensitive/confidential information with discretion.
Willingness to become facile with Excel and FileMaker Pro. Knowledge of BSR Advance or similar database a plus.
Must be highly organized, detail oriented, and have the ability to work efficiently with accurate results in a complex and fast-paced environment. Must be able to prioritize work effectively and work independently to meet deadlines.
Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Excellent knowledge of English grammar, spelling, and punctuation. Ability to write clearly, proofread, format, and edit official documents.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University Alumni Affairs and Development
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. T...he University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.