Ariadne Labs is a joint center for health systems innovation at Brigham and Women's Hospital and the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health. Our goal is to drive scalable solutions for better care at critical moments in people's lives everywhere. Better care means better health outcomes, lower costs, and more actual caring. Critical means solving health systems failures that have major impact, typically touching people by the millions. Ariadne Labs currently has research programs in the areas of childbirth, surgery, palliative care and primary health care.
The Qualitative Research Specialist will be a key member of the Science and Technology team at Ariadne Labs, reporting directly to the Science and Technology Senior Manager and working closely with both the Associate Director of Science and Technology and other team members across the Lab.
Duties and responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Designing qualitative studies for small, innovative projects as well as for large-scale, mixed-methods projects seeking to develop scalable solutions to complex health system problems
- Developing innovative, qualitative research approaches, activities and methodologies that will result in high quality, impactful study results – in collaboration with the Science and Technology team – and that will lead future direction of Ariadne Labs qualitative research
- Serving as the lead researcher with input from project teams -- collaborating with other researchers and driving approach, analysis, and strategic recommendations
- Leading all aspects of qualitative research including study design and tool development -- including semi-structured interview and focus group guides and analytic plans
- Leading the development of surveys, focusing on assessing acceptability, feasibility, content validity, satisfaction, and culture in healthcare
- Acting as the lead moderator/interviewer in the gathering of insights through qualitative research methods, primarily through focus group moderation and/or in-depth interviews
- Providing staff training and mentorship of Ariadne Labs faculty and staff to develop to capacitate them in qualitative study design and methods – including the conducting of focus groups, interviews, etc.
- Analyzing research findings and interpreting the results to create insightful reports and presentations, and to make recommendations on future direction of research
- Leading the writing of methods and results sections for manuscripts, abstracts, program reports, and new grant proposals
- Other duties as assigned
PLEASE NOTE: This position has a term end date of one year from date of hire, with possibility for extension.
* Depending on the credentials and experience of the finalist, an appointment as a Research Scientist through the Office of Faculty Affairs may also be possible.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Salary Grade: 057
Union: 00 - Non Union, Exempt or Temporary
- Master's Degree required
- 5+ years of related experience required
- Master's or advanced degree in public health, anthropology, social science, evaluation, or related field strongly preferred - Experience in qualitative methods including study design, implementation, analysis, and manuscript development strongly preferred
- In-depth knowledge of qualitative software packages, such as NVivo, Dedoose, Atlas.ti, strongly preferred
- Experience developing interview guides and structured surveys strongly preferred
- Experience conducting semi-structured interviews and focus groups strongly preferred
- Excellent collaboration skills and experience working with multidisciplinary teams preferred
- Experience and interest in mentoring junior team members preferred
- Experience working in a multi-functional, matrixed environment preferred
- Experience in guiding the development of conceptual frameworks for new projects preferred
- Experience in implementation science preferred
- An understanding of mixed-methods approaches, specifically in public health preferred
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. T...he University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.