User support specialists work as part of a versatile team that provides front-line computer and emergency audio-visual support for a community of 3000 faculty, staff, and students. Support is done by phone, in person, via email or by utilizing remote technologies. Position will include regular coverage of the User Services Help Desk and significant field work across campus.
- Diagnose and resolve technical hardware and software issues. Research questions using available information resources. Identify and escalate situations requiring urgent attention.
- Support both Windows and MAC OS and responsible for computer and printer setups at client's offices across campus. Maintain and service computers and technology in computer laboratories, auditoria/classrooms and conference rooms. Provide hardware and software support for a variety of student computing laboratories that operate 24-7. This work includes computer imaging, virus scanning, and hardware/software upgrades.
- General application support includes but is not limited to: Microsoft Office365 products, Outlook email and calendaring, various email clients (MacMail, Outlook), Webex, video conferencing, Android and Apple iPhone devices/tablets, all major web browsers, SSH/SFTP clients, MacAfee virus scanning software, malware removal tools, desktop backup utilities and other common PC troubleshooting tools.
- Assist with network operations, and related issues working closely with members of the network and server teams on account, firewall, disk quota, and other issues.
- Develop and maintain system documentation as well as training and reference materials for the community. Research new technologies related to both hardware and software and keep current with publications relevant to the computer industry.
- Participate in special projects as departmental need arises. Examples of past projects include BigFix and EPO administration, implementation of Safeboot encryption software, audio-visual installation projects, Office 365 migration, and WIN XP migration, AD Migration.
- Contribute to departmental goals by accomplishing related duties as required.
Please Note: On occasion, flexible work hours and/or overtime are required to cover events and special projects. Please Note: May be tested on appropriate computer skills as required.
Harvard offers an outstanding benefits package including:
Time Off: 3- 4 weeks paid vacation, paid holiday break, 12 paid sick days, 11.5 paid holidays, and 3 paid personal days per year.
Medical/Dental/Vision: We offer a variety of excellent medical plans, dental & vision plans, all coverage begins as of your start date.
Retirement: University-funded retirement plan with full vesting after 3 years of service.
Tuition Assistance Program: Competitive tuition assistance program, $40 per class at the Harvard Extension School and discounted options through participating Harvard grad schools.
Transportation: Harvard offers a 50% discounted MBTA pass as well as additional options to assist employees in their daily commute.
Wellness Options: Harvard offers programs and classes at little or no cost, including stress management, massages, nutrition, meditation and complimentary health services.
Harvard access to athletic facilities, libraries, campus events and many discounts throughout metro Boston.
Join the Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health to support our mission of health research and education, and to be a part of the oldest institution of higher learning in the country!
Salary Grade: 054
Union: 55 - Hvd Union Cler & Tech Workers
- 3+ years of related experience with computers, providing customer service in a technological environment. May require the knowledge of a variety of hardware, software, programming languages, and operation systems; a combination of education and experience may be considered.
- BA/BS degree or equivalent with a computer science background strongly preferred. - 2+ years experience in providing user services to a community with diverse computing needs. - This position is a customer service position and requires strong customer service skills in an often fast-paced environment. Excellent organizational, analytical, and verbal/written communication skills and the ability to work with end users at all levels of the organization are essential. Must be able to effectively communicate technical information effectively to non-technical users in person, on the phone, and via email. - Experience supporting and troubleshooting Windows and Mac computer hardware and software in large networked environment. Must be able to learn new technology and software quickly. - User specialists must be capable of working independently with minimal supervision in the field at various offsite locations. - Ability to write documentation for other team members and the community. - Must be capable of contributing as a team player, exhibit a high level of initiative, and have a willingness to learn new technologies. - Previous work with a ticketing and scheduling system. - Candidates should ideally have experience working with audio-visual equipment, video/web/audio conferencing equipment, projection units, and classroom technology in an academic setting. - Experience with ServiceNow.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER: We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About Harvard University T.H. Chan School of Public Health
Harvard University is devoted to excellence in teaching, learning, and research, and to developing leaders in many disciplines who make a difference globally. The University, which is based in Cambridge and Boston, Massachusetts, has an enrollment of over 20,000 degree candidates, including undergraduate, graduate, and professional students. Harvard has more than 360,000 alumni around the world. T...he University has twelve degree-granting Schools in addition to the Radcliffe Institute for Advanced Study, offering a truly global education. Established in 1636, Harvard is the oldest institution of higher education in the United States.