Caltech is a world-renowned science and engineering institute that marshals some of the world's brightest minds and most innovative tools to address fundamental scientific questions. We thrive on finding and cultivating talented people who are passionate about what they do. Join us and be a part of the diverse Caltech community.
Job Summary The Department of athletics, physical education and recreation at The California Institute of Technology, Caltech, seeks an Assistant Director for Facilities to engage our mission of providing excellent facilities in support of 18 D3 intercollegiate teams, required physical education program for undergraduates and a comprehensive recreation program for our community. Caltech, in beautiful Pasadena, California, is the world's leading STEM research institution and undertakes to transform the world through research and education; with 1000 undergraduates and 1200 graduate students, this is a unique and vibrant educational community. (www.gocaltech.com; www.caltech.edu) This is a full time, exempt position reporting to the Director of Athletics, Physical Education and Recreation, with fantastic additional health and retirement benefits. The Assistant Director is responsible for oversight of the athletic and recreational facilities, supervising a full and part time building staff to assist in this mission. This is a key position on the department leadership team to collaborate effectively with the Assistant Directors for Athletics and Recreation, the head varsity coaches, group fitness instructors, physical educators; there will be other primary duties assigned depending on the applicant pool and secondary strengths of the selected candidate. Interested parties should apply online through Caltech HR website; position open until filled with a goal start date note later than September 1, 2017.
This position has an essential reporting designation. An employee designated as essential reporting has essential job skills that are needed for response and recovery, and is expected to report to campus as soon as possible.
Job Duties - Supervision of building including the supervision and scheduling of the building staff to ensure controlled access to the facilities, presence in the facilities at all open hours and a positive customer service focused operation. Includes hiring, training, developing five full time and several part time staff. Assist with event setup and programming support as necessary. Cash handling, processing, and supervision required. Close partners with security and emergency/crises management.
- Collaborate with the Assistant Directors on scheduling of the facility and ensuring the communication of scheduled activities to the community on a proactive basis. The assistant director will be the keeper of the master facility schedule.
- Ensure that all facilities are clean, in good repair and coordinate needs for replacement or improvement in consultation with the Director. Liaison with housekeeping, grounds and facilities maintenance, central plant, and outside vendors (AFS, Pest, cardio, maintenance).
- Ensure that all equipment is in good working order, maintained properly and on appropriate schedules, inventoried and replaced on an appropriate schedule. Purchase general department equipment in collaboration with other leadership team members. Collaborate with the equipment manager on certain tasks where functions overlap.
- Coordination of a limited facility rental program, working closely with personal trainers, assistant coaches, and special requests to ensure risk and legal management, invoicing and collection of revenue; reviewing rental requests in advance with the Director.
- Participate actively in the general work of the department, attend meetings, work on committees and support the membership, students and community in a variety of ways to meet our mission.
- Other responsibilities and duties as assigned which may include but not limited to: teaching physical education, providing strength and conditioning instructional support for the community, event management or other recreational or intercollegiate program support.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, non-verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong supervisory and managerial skills; awareness of all legal and ethical responsibilities.
- Strong general computer, software and technology skills for managing our programming.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and cultivate positive relationships with every level of the organization through excellent problem solving and conflict management skills
- Demonstrated ability to work independently on a collaborative team toward department mission; multi-tasking and fluid prioritization of changing tasks; thrives in a dynamic work environment; highly organized.
- Ability and willingness to serve as a positive health and fitness role model for our community including a positive, optimistic and can do professional attitude.
- Ability to work a full time adapted work schedule including nights and weekends.
- Physical work environment, must be able to lift 50 lbs. or more on a regular basis, each day is filled with physical tasks, event set up, carrying equipment in a variety of capacities.
Preferred Qualifications - Master's degree in Facility, Recreation or Athletic Management, or physical education preferred.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
Copyright 2017 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
The California Institute of Technology (Caltech) is a world-renowned science and engineering research and education institution, where extraordinary faculty and students seek answers to complex questions, discover new knowledge, lead innovation, and transform our future.